David J. Darnell is a highly experienced trial attorney with an impeccable track record. In other words, he delivers results and helps clients win.
Mr. Darnell specializes in business, contract and complex commercial matters, as well as disputes involving corporate governance, fiduciary duties, partnerships, fraud and other torts.
Mr. Darnell obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California at Santa Barbara, where he majored in Communications and Environmental Studies. He then earned his law degree at Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles, where he participated in the Southwestern Moot Court Honors Program and served on its Board of Governors.
Mr. Darnell is an accomplished advocate with both the pen and in open court. In fact, his skills were acknowledged early in his legal career in the 1999 National Moot Court Competition, where he won the prestigious Best Brief award and was a Semi-Finalist in oral argument.
In 2015 and again in 2016, Mr. Darnell was selected as a Super Lawyer, a rating awarded to the top 5% of all attorneys in the state. In addition, in 2012, 2013 and 2014, he was selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers, a peer nominated honor bestowed on the top 2.5 % of all attorneys in the state who are 40 years of age or under.
As a professional, Mr. Darnell’s counsel has led to significant results for clients in trials, arbitrations and mediations. One case in particular involved the defense of a multi-million dollar claim in a 6 week jury trial, which resulted in a monetary award to his client who was only a defendant in the action. He has also obtained numerous seven and eight figure recoveries for clients on the plaintiffs’ side of the bar.
Some of Mr. Darnell’s recent cases include:
• A compete defense for his clients after an eight day trial in which the plaintiffs had sought more than $7 million dollars on claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. After hearing the evidence and closing arguments, the trial court found in favor of Mr. Darnell’s clients and against the plaintiffs on all counts. In addition to zero liability, his clients were awarded more than $17,000 in costs.
• A $15.5 million settlement for his client in a case involving claims of illegal dividends and breach of fiduciary duty against corporate officers and directors.
• A judgment for more than $1 million after a federal jury trial.
• A very favorable settlement for clients who were sued in a wrongful death case arising out of unfortunate circumstances and presenting substantial risks of losing everything they owned. The settlement preserved their assets and brought closure to an emotionally charged lawsuit.
• The total dismissal of a case against his clients based on alleged constitutional and due process violations.
• A $695,000 arbitration award for his client in a breach of contract case.
Mr. Darnell is an active member of the California state bar and is licensed to appear and try cases before every state court in California, as well as the United States District Court for the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California.
Check, Credit card
Are you an attorney? Endorse this lawyer
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|Super Lawyer||Super Lawyers||2016|
|Super Lawyer||Super Lawyers||2015|
|Southern California Rising Star||Super Lawyers||2014|
|Southern California Rising Star||Super Lawyers||2013|
|Southern California Rising Star||Super Lawyers||2012|
|Best Brief Award, Medal for Excellency in Advocacy||American College of Trial Lawyers||1999|
|Semi-Finalist, Medal for Excellency in Advocacy||American College of Trial Lawyers||1999|
|Oralist Finalist||Southwestern University School of Law||1998|
|Best Writer Finalist||Southwestern University School of Law||1998|
|Dean's List||University of California at Santa Barbara||1996|
|Dean's List||University of California at Santa Barbara||1995|
|Senior Attorney||Callahan & Blaine||2010 - Present|
|Attorney and Team Leader||BKGG||2004 - 2010|
|Attorney||Weston Herzog LLP||2001 - 2004|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|Orange County Bar Association, Business & Litigation Section||Member||2009 - Present|
|State Bar of California, Litigation Section||Member||2009 - Present|
|Orange County Bar Association||Member||2006 - Present|
|State Bar of California||Member||2000 - Present|
|Active OC||Board Member||2009 - 2010|
|Southwestern Moot Court Honors Program||Board of Governors||1999 - 2000|
|Soutwestern Moot Court Honors Program||Member||1998 - 2000|
|Whitehead v. Herron||Complete defense for my client at trial|
|Skorheim v. Flanders||$15.5 million win for my client|
|AMI v. Dominion||$1,055,000.00 judgment for my client|
|See all legal cases|
|OC Weekly||OC Register Carriers Lawsuit Finally Delivers an Ending||2012|
|Orange County Business Journal, Securities Supplement||To Judge or Not To Judge: Stage is Set in SEC v. Citigroup||2012|
|Business Wire||Callahan & Blaine Announces $30 Million Settlement of Orange County Register Class Action||2012|
|PR Web||Orange County Litigation Law Firm Callahan & Blaine Prevails in AMI Services Case||2011|
|Orange County Business Journal, Securities Supplement||Revealing Impact of a Dim Economy: A Deluge of Recent Ponzi Schemes||2010|
|Southwestern University School of Law||Law||JD - Juris Doctor||2000|
|University of California - Santa Barbara||Communications and Environmental Studies||Other - Bachelors||1996|