Steven S. Yamin has been a civil litigator in California since 2004. Mr. Yamin represents plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state court in numerous areas, including civil litigation, commercial landlord-tenant matters, lease disputes, unlawful detainer and evictions, personal injury, and a variety of other litigation and risk management issues. Prior to co-founding Movaghar & Yamin, Mr. Yamin served as a senior associate with a well-respected real estate law firm and as an associate in the business litigation departments of two large firms in Los Angeles.
Mr. Yamin's notable cases and results include the following:
• Obtained summary judgment for landlord in lease interpretation dispute regarding tenant’s attempt to exercise option to extend lease and obtained possession of premises for client.
• Represented large real estate developer and commercial property owner against JPMorgan Chase in lender-borrower dispute regarding terms of rate-lock agreement and obtained favorable settlement.
• Defended majority owner of engine testing laboratory against fraud and breach of letter of intent claims regarding agreement to negotiate sale of interest in laboratory; obtained jury verdict and denial of plaintiff’s appeal.
• Represented owner of Kodak Theatre in complex litigation involving breach of contract and indemnity claims against contractor and designers of Theatre; obtained jury verdict in favor of owner and negotiated favorable settlement.
• Obtained multiple judgments and favorable settlements totaling over seven figures for lender in cases involving breach of promissory note and guaranty.
Upon graduation from Loyola Law School in 2004, Mr. Yamin received his Juris Doctorate degree and graduated Cum Laude with Order of the Coif Honors. Mr. Yamin was also awarded the American Jurisprudence Award for achieving the highest course grade in Evidence and Wills & Trusts. While in law school, Mr. Yamin served as judicial extern to the Honorable Terry J. Hatter, Jr. of the United States District Court, Central District of California.
Mr. Yamin earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 2001. He became a member of the State Bar of California in December 2004, and is admitted to practice in all courts in the State of California.
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|Clients' Choice Award||Avvo||2013|
|Most Valuable Player||Landau Lawyers League||2005|
|First Honors Award - Trusts and Wills||American Jurisprudence||2004|
|Cum Laude||Order of the Coif||2004|
|Member||St Thomas More Society||2004|
|First Honors Award - Evidence||American Jurisprudence||2003|
|Senior Associate||Goodkin & Lynch LLP||2006 - 2013|
|Associate||Liner Grode Stein Yankelevitz Sunshine Regenstreif & Taylor||2005 - 2006|
|Associate||Richardson & Patel LLP||2004 - 2005|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles||Member||2013 - Present|
|Consumer Attorneys of California||Member||2013 - Present|
|Century City Bar Association||Member||2007 - Present|
|Los Angeles County Bar Association||Member||2004 - Present|
|Landau Lawyers League||Player||2004 - Present|
|CBE - Continuing Education of the Bar||Easements and Boundaries||2011|
|Landau Lawyers League||All-Star Section Summary||2006|
|Loyola Law School||JD - Juris Doctor||2004|
|Univ of California at Los Angeles||BA - Bachelor of Arts||2001|
|Landlord's Remedies||Commercial Leases||2010|
|CIM v. McCarthy||Jury verdict for client|
|Hunt v. Extengine||Obtained 12-0 jury verdict|
|YFP v. JPMorgan||Favorable settlement|
|Century Park v. Paterno||Won on summary judgment|
Posted by Humberto
Thu Dec 11 2014
Posted by Delna
Mon Oct 06 2014
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to the information we collect from state bar associations and other organizations that license legal professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do not.
Years licensed, work experience, education
Peer endorsements, associations, awards
Publications, speaking engagements