Experienced in State and Federal Courts in Virginia
I have spent my legal career fighting to protect fellow citizens’ rights in state and federal courts in Virginia, and I have represented clients from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia as well as clients from throughout the United States in the state and federal courts in Virginia. I have practiced criminal and traffic law as well as domestic relations law (family law) since 1999. I also represent clients in expungement matters (petitioning a circuit court to expunge criminal charges that were nolle prosequi (or formally dropped), the client was acquitted, or the charge was otherwise dismissed). Throughout my entire legal career my law offices have been in Virginia Beach or Norfolk, Virginia. I have practiced in all of the courts in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area, as well as many courts outside of the area. While I occasionally represent clients outside of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, my primary geographical areas of representation are Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, and Northampton.
• Unique Background -- Before attending law school (1996 - 1999) I served as a U.S. Army Ranger (3rd Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment), a city police officer (Lynchburg, Virginia), and as a Virginia state trooper. While I have been in private practice since graduating from law school and becoming a licensed attorney subsequent to the Virginia bar exam in 1999, I worked as an intern in the Virginia Beach Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney and the Chesapeake Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney during law school. I prosecuted numerous trials during my internship with the Virginia Beach Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney (during my third year of law school, while in the presence of a licensed attorney (prosecutor)). I believe that my combination of legal, law enforcement, and military experience provides me with a unique skill set to assist clients in their criminal/traffic law and domestic relations/family law legal matters. I have litigated hundreds of cases since being admitted to the Virginia State Bar in 1999, to include high profile cases.
• Strong Litigation Skills -- I believe that I am an experienced, skilled litigator (trial attorney) with nearly 15 years of courtroom experience in state and federal courts in Virginia. I have represented clients in jury trials in federal and state courts in Virginia. I represented a Somali national accused of piracy under the law of nations and attack to plunder vessel, among other charges in a federal jury trial, which was a case with national media coverage. I represented a client accused of murder, robbery, conspiracy, and using and carrying a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence in a federal jury trial. I have represented foreign nationals in federal court from Belarus, Argentina, Mexico, Senegal, and another Somali national in a high profile piracy matter involving Americans on a yacht named the S/V Quest. I have represented clients in numerous state jury trials accused of violent felonies as well as non-violent felonies. While every case is unique and the results depend on a variety of factors, I have had jury verdicts that acquitted my clients of the charged crimes. Please remember that these case results do not in any way guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by me. I have represented hundreds of clients in trials before judges, which are known as bench trials. I have represented clients on appellate matters and argued before the Court of Appeals of Virginia and the Supreme Court of Virginia, and I have had cases in the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
• Strong Negotiation Skills -- Most serious legal cases do not go to trial – they are settled or agreed upon, whether by plea agreement in criminal and traffic matters or by contract or an agreed court order in domestic relations (family law) matters. While negotiations and trial work require different skill sets, I am well-experienced in both. While I pride myself in being a litigator, or trial attorney, not every case does, or should, go to trial. Many cases can be resolved without the necessity -- or expense -- of trial. Part of being a skilled and experienced attorney is knowing when to recommend to a client that a case should be taken to trial. The decision is ultimately the client’s decision and it is not always an easy decision. I believe it is important that opposing counsel (the attorney for the other party or the prosecutor in criminal and traffic matters) knows that their counterpart has extensive trial experience.
• Principles -- One of my fundamental principles is that I am honest. I always tell my clients the truth, whether it is what the client prefers to hear or otherwise. While the practice of law ultimately is a business, it is primarily a profession, and it requires proper education, experience, legal skill, and the ability to talk to clients in clear, understandable, and candid terms. It is essential that clients are aware of the potential perils that they may face by taking or not taking some course of action. Clients will receive an honest assessment of their legal matter from me at the initial consultation, and throughout my representation.
• Reasonable Legal Fees -- I believe that my legal fees are reasonable. It is my belief that a person seeking legal representation should find the proper fit, which is not always the least expensive fee. I do not likely have the lowest legal fees in the area, and I likely do not have the highest legal fees in the area. I believe that my fees are commensurate with my experience and skill set.
• Geographical Areas -- I am located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, which is in the Southeastern area of Virginia. The area is known as the Hampton Roads area (formerly known as the Tidewater area) of Virginia, which includes Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, and Newport News. If you are going through a contentious divorce or are have been charged with driving under the influence (DUI), David M. Good is ready to fight and win your case.
• Criminal and Traffic Law -- I represent clients in every type of criminal and traffic law cases, including felonies, misdemeanors, and traffic infractions. This includes speeding, reckless driving, driving under the influence (DUI), driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license, domestic violence, assault and battery, drug crimes, possession with intent to distribute drugs, petit larceny, grand larceny, violent crimes, white collar crimes, etc. If you have been charged with a crime or a traffic infraction, please call me for a consultation.
• Expungement Law -- I represent clients in expungement of their criminal charge matters, which are actually civil matters. If your criminal charge was dismissed or dropped (nolle prosequi) you may be able to have it expunged, though there is no guarantee. If the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney objects to the expungement then a court hearing will be required. If you were convicted of the crime Virginia law does not presently allow for an expungement unless you receive an absolute pardon from the Governor or Virginia or if you were the victim of identity theft. To determine if your case may be eligible for an expungement please contact me.
• Domestic Relations Law (Family Law) — I represent clients in domestic relations (family law) matters, which include divorce, equitable distribution, spousal support, child custody and visitation, child support, paternity, adoption, property settlement agreements, premarital and postmarital (postnuptial) agreements, and annulment. If you have a domestic relations/family law matter, please contact me for a consultation.
Contact Attorney David Michael Good for a consultation
Call me at (757) 306-1331 or contact me online for an initial consultation. I do not charge a consultation fee in criminal, traffic, or expungement matters, however, I charge a nominal fee of $50 for a family law consultation.
CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. THE CASE RESULTS REPORTED DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY THE LAWYER.
Check, Credit card
|VA||Authorized to practice law||1999||03/31/2016|
|Attorney||David Michael Good, P.C.||2002 - Present|
|Attorney||McKenry, Dancigers, Dawson & Lake, P.C.||1999 - 2002|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|Virginia State Bar||Member||N/A|
|Virginia Beach Bar Association||Member||N/A|
|Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers||Member||N/A|
|James Kent American Inn of Court||Member||N/A|
|National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers||Member||N/A|
|Domestic Violence (Assault & Battery of a Family Member)||Dismissed|
|See all legal cases|
|Regent University School of Law||Law||JD - Juris Doctor||1999|
|Longwood University||Psychology||BS - Bachelor of Science||1991|