There were a few specific attributes I was looking for in an attorney whom I was going to hire to work on my case.
1. Expertise – A proficient attorney experienced enough to have seen it all and ready to change course as needed.
My case was highly intricate, facing obstacles at every turn. Maria was experienced and skilled enough to surmount the impediments and remained solid, and her confidence was a strong anchor for me.
2. Attorney-Client relationship – An attorney who represents me and not just another divorce case, because every case is different, every partnership is unique, and a general rule is often not applicable.
What impressed me the most about Maria was she dedicated her time and effort at the beginning of the case and attentively listened, studied, learned, and understood who her client was and the specific circumstances of the case in order to tailor the representation. Maria’s most impressive traits are her continual attention, and prompt responses to always be available to protect her client, even if it meant protecting me from myself, which built confidence, trust, and professional courtesy.
3. Comforting/reassuring – An attorney who is able to calm my emotions in an enormously stressful time.
While I was panicking on the other end of the line, Maria helped put my mind at ease with her very thoughtful sound advice and her genuine warmth and care. I left her office feeling empowered and ready for my next steps every single time. Although the entire process was not fun, I think Maria and her staff made this as painless as could possibly be for me.
4. Ethical – Although, it is natural to want to “win at any cost”, but what was important to me, to hire an attorney who follows the rules of professional conduct, and obtain the best results with intelligence, skill, proficiency, and ability to practice the law rather than through unethical means.
Although, Maria is aggressive with a purpose and fights hard when facing challenges, but she never lost the sight of the big picture – obtain the best results for her client through gaining the confidence of everyone involved – opposing counsel, the judge, and of course her client with her intelligence and skills.
5. Attorney’s budget – an attorney that knows when to lavish and when to be frugal about the budget.
Maria not only never attempted to make my case about the money, but also she protected me from taking unreasonable risks and/or spending more money on the conflicts that had no merits. What moved me was her commitment to her client - she comforted me at times when I was concerned about sustaining my attorney’s budget, by ensuring that my representation will not be interrupted because of her fees.
Many thanks to Maria and her staff!