Case Conclusion Date: January 1, 2005
Practice Area: Wrongful Death
Outcome: confidential settlement
Description: This is a wrongful death case for the loss of a child in a fire. While the fire was accidentally caused by the child's mother, the smoke alarms installed by the landlord in the apartment were inadequate and also inadequately maintained and tested. The key to this case was that the defendant was using a different standard of testing for different apartments they owned and controlled. We were able to show that the smoke detector must not only be tested for battery strength but also for its ability to actually sense smoke.