Case Conclusion Date: January 20, 2009
Practice Area: Personal Injury
Outcome: Mediation resulted in $415,000 settlement of case
Description: This was a motor vehicle case where one party was 99% liable and the other was 1%, if that. The 99% party paid all of its $100,000 insurance limits-- that was easy. The other party offered us nothing, until a marathon mediation session before the one of a kind Honorable Tom Raup. At the end of that session, the 1% liable party paid $315,000, for a total settlement of $415,000. The total settlement offer going in was less than half that sum. We presented the case in such a fashion that Judge Raup accepted our valuation of the case, rather than the 1% liable defendant's assessment.