John E. Keefe, Jr. is the current and 120th president of the New Jersey State Bar Association. His primary goals as leader of the state bar are to build on diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, launch a mentoring program for new lawyers and level the malpractice playing field.
A Certified Civil Trial Attorney, he has devoted much of his time to civil trial practice throughout the State and Federal Courts of New Jersey specializing in negligence and product liability as well as complex mass tort and class action litigation. He founded Keefe Law Firm in 1996 and leads our plaintiffs’ personal injury, mass tort litigation and complex litigation department. John has tried numerous matters to verdict and prosecuted hundreds of cases on behalf of victims of catastrophic loss.
• Appointed by the Superior Court as plaintiffs liaison counsel in an historic consumer fraud national class action, Talalai v. Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. (Docket No.: MID-L-8830-00-MT ) the settlement of which is valued at between $1,000,000,000and $3,000,000,000 to consumers.
• Lead counsel on behalf of plaintiffs in one of the largest pollution cases in New Jersey, Janes v. Ciba Geigy Corporation (Docket No.: MID-L- 1669-01-MT).
• Served as local counsel in the securities class action litigation, In Re Sears, Roebuck & Co. Securities Litigation (Docket No. 02-C-07527) which resulted in a $215,000,000 cash settlement.
• Resolved a complex wrongful death case on behalf of a young widow and small children against New Jersey Transit Corporation for Wrongful Death Caused by Electrocution and Severe Burns for $10,000,000.00
• Served as liaison counsel in In Re Royal Dutch/Shell Transport Securities Litigation – (Civil Action No.: 04-374 (JWB)) before Judge Joel Pisano and the Hormone Replacement Therapy Litigation (Docket No.: ATL-2093-04 MT) before Judge Carol E. Higbee.
• Served as co-counsel in a national consumer fraud class settlement in Chicago, Illinois on behalf of thousands of consumers nationwide.
• Co-counsel in $30 million false advertising class action lawsuit Imran Chaudhri v. Osram Sylvania Inc., in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
• Additional matters include: motor vehicle wrongful death, product liability, premises liability, burn injuries, worksite OSHA violations, hospital negligence wrongful death and long term care negligence involving burns and wrongful death.
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|AV Distinguished Peer Review Rated||Martindale-Hubbell||2011|
|Super Lawyer||Super Lawyers||2011|
|Super Lawyer||Super Lawyers||2010|
|Super Lawyer||Super Lawyers||2008|
|Certified Civil Trial Attorney||Supreme Court of New Jersey||2004|
|Invited Member||Million Dollar Advocates Forum||N/A|
|Associate||Wilentz Goldman & Spitzer||1991 - 1996|
|Law Clerk||Hon. Kenneth C. MacKenzie J.S.C.||1990 - 1991|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|New Jersey Supreme Court Working Group on Ethical Issues Involving Metadata in Electronic Documents||Member||2014 - Present|
|New Jersey State Bar Association||Treasurer||2014 - Present|
|New Jersey Bar Association||Board of Trustees||2010 - Present|
|Trial Attorneys of New Jersey||Member||1999 - Present|
|New Jersey State Bar Association, Civil Trial Bar Section||Executive Committee||1998 - Present|
|Monmouth County Bar Association||Member||N/A|
|Middlesex County Bar Association||Member||N/A|
|American Association for Justice||Member||N/A|
|Trial Attorneys of New Jersey||Past President||N/A|
|New Jersey State Bar Association||President||2018 - 2019|
|New Jersey State Bar Association||Secretary||2013 - 2013|
|Seton Hall University School of Law||JD - Juris Doctor||N/A|
|Gettysburg College||BA - Bachelor of Arts||N/A|
|NJICLE Civil Trial Practice||Significant Developments in Class Actions||2014|
|New Jersey State Bar Association Mid-Year Meeting in Paris, France||Trials and Tribulations: Jury Issues in State and Federal Court||2014|
|New Jersey State Bar Association||Everything You Need to Know About Successfully Managing Track I & Track II Cases Under the New Mandatory Expedited Handling Program||2014|
|New Jersey State Bar Association||Civil Litigation A La Italiana||2013|
|New Jersey Association for Justice||Class Action Update||2013|
|Future Business Leaders of America||So You Think You Want To Be A Lawyer||2013|
|Boardwalk Seminar||Class Action Update||2013|
|New Jersey State Bar Association||Civil Trial Bench-Bar Conference||2012|
|New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar||NJ Law Update: Class Action||2012|
|New Jersey State Bar Association 2011 Mid-Year Meeting in Dublin||A Comparative Trial Experience American and Irish Court Rooms||2011|
|Marketing Bootcamp Seminar||Marketing in the Plaintiff's Practice||2011|
|Consumer Rights and/or Product Liability||So, You Think You Want To Be A Lawyer?||2011|
|Experts By Experts Class Action Symposium||Class Action Lawsuits||N/A|
|Boardwalk Seminar||Hot Tips for Trial Lawyers||N/A|
|Wrongful Death Caused by Electrocution and Severe Burns for $10,000,000.00||$10,000,000.00|
|Janes v. CIBA-GEIGY Corporation Class Action Settlement||$20,000,000|
|Easton PA man catastrophically injured in I-78 crash recovers $2.6M settlement in Middlesex County||$2,600,000|
|Anthony Talalai, et al. v. Cooper Tire and Rubber Company||Settlement valued at $3 billion to consumers.|
Posted by Tony
Mon Sep 30 2013
Posted by The Wagner Family
Wed Sep 01 2010
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to the information we collect from state bar associations and other organizations that license legal professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do not.
Years licensed, work experience, education
Peer endorsements, associations, awards
Publications, speaking engagements