I'm a tax and estate planning attorney, focusing on foreign tax compliance and high-net-worth estate planning for individuals. When I'm not practicing law, I spend my time with my wife Emily and our rescued mutts Griswold and Molly, I run marathons (40 as of 3/23/17), and I volunteer with the Boy Scouts.
My focuses on taking care of individuals and their planning issues. I'm certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in both Tax Law and Estate Planning and Probate Law.
- I help clients with their estate planning, which includes drafting wills, powers of attorney, and the other documents needed to plan for death and incapacity; reviewing existing wills and trusts; and advising trustees about their trusts.
- I help clients with their personal tax planning, including income tax planning for their business.
- For individuals with assets in the US and elsewhere, either because they’re US persons with assets abroad or nonresidents considering investments here in the US, I help manage the international tax issues.
- Beyond tax planning for the business, I’m here to help with starting the business or making sure that things are running well. For more complicated corporate work, I’ll either work with (if the client wants me to be involved), or refer the matter to (if they don’t), those with the right experience. Another way to put it is that I can help “start the business” and “better the business,” but I’m not always the guy for the “bet the business” work.
- And when someone has died, I help administer the decedent’s estate.
While it sounds like a wide range of disparate and unrelated practices, I see it as a related set of skills that helps clients get the legal pieces in place so that they can focus on what they want to and know that they legal side is handled.