Richard L. Whitman, Sr. is a 1969 graduate of Eastern Illinois University where he graduated as valedictorian. He graduated in 1972 from Northwestern University School of Law in the top 10 percent of his class and was an editor of law review and a member of the order of the Coif. While in law school he was a law clerk for the appeals division of the City of Chicago’s corporation counsel and provided research in major appeals such as Jesse Jackson v.City of Chicago in the United States Supreme Court.
He joined the firm then known as Stansell and Critser in Monmouth, Illinois in 1973 and became a partner in the firm in January of 1978. Following the retirement of Theodore Stansell in 2002, he became the senior partner in the firm which is now known as Stansell, Whitman and Baber.
Mr. Whitman’s practice is approximately one half litigation and one half "office practice." About 20% of his practice consists of representing injured persons in cases stemming accidents involving automobiles, slip and fall situations, animal bites and medical malpractice. He has participated in several malpractice cases resulting in settlements in excess of one million dollars.
Another 20% of his practice involves estate planning, writing Wills and trusts and probating of estates. The estates he has advised have ranged from modest ones to estates in excess of ten million dollars.
He represents many local closely-held corporations as well as banks, school districts, Monmouth College and townships. His role in the private closely-held business organizations includes not only organizing such business organizations but also maintaining continuing contact through annual meetings and reports.
He has written extensively for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education on actions in accounting in which business owners seek to have partners or corporate officers account for funds and proceeds of the business or property in which they have ownership interest. He also has considerable experience in construction litigation involving claims of defective construction.
He has extensive real estate practice which involves residential properties, as well as farm and commercial sales and purchases. He is experienced in tax free section 1031 exchanges of real estate. He is authorized to issue title insurance in real estate transaction for Lawyers Title Guaranty.
Mr. Whitman speaks Spanish and has an extensive practice on behalf Monmouth’s sizable Hispanic population. He is conversant in the technical language required to discuss real estate,personal injury, divorce, criminal and traffic matters in Spanish. If desired, he able to write correspondence and legal documents in spanish. He is also able to provide translaters for court proceedings for non-English speaking clients or witnesses.
If desired, Mr. Whitman will set appointments on Saturday. He has a personal policy of returning phone calls as soon as possible and of advising clients at the first appointment of the probable cost of their work. On personal injury and medical malpractice cases there is no charge for the initial consultation.
Mr. Whitman has an "AV" rating with Martindale Hubbell which is the highest possible rating. In 2007, he was selected as a Illinois Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine.
Mr. Whitman’s wife, Patricia Whitman, is the receptionist for the law firm and also is in charge of the billing, bookkeeping and computers. Mrs. Whitman is a 1970 graduate of Eastern Illinois University. She has been employed by the firm since 2001.
Mr. Whitman is assisted by his secretary and paralegal Angela Farm. Mrs. Farm received a paralegal degree in 2004 from Blackhawk College and has been with the firm since 2005.
Areas of Practice
· 20% Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice
· 20% Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning and Probate
· 10% Business Organizations
· 20% Business and Civil Litigation
· 10% Family Law
· 10% Criminal Law and Traffic Violations
· 10% Real Estate Law
· 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
· Illinois, 1972
· U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1980
· U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1996
· U.S. Tax Court, 1989
· Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 1972
Honors: Cum Laude
Honors: Order of the CoifLaw Review: Northwestern University Law Review, Editor, 1970 - 1972
· Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, Illinois, 1969
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Major: Political Science
· "Implied Warranties in Sale of New Home", Illinois Trial Lawyer's Journal, Fall, 1979
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Equitable Remedies in Chancery, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1978
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Equitable Remedies in Chancery, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1982
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Equitable Remedies in Chancery, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1989
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Equitable Remedies in Chancery, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1992
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Equitable Remedies in Chancery, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2001
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Equitable Remedies in Chancery, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2006
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Illinois Causes of Actions - Elements,Forms & Winning Tips, Illinois Institute of Legal Education, 2002
· "Actions in Accounting", A Chapter in Illinois Causes of Actions - Elements,Forms & Winning Tips, Illinois Institute of Legal Education, 2008
· Midwest Bank of Western Illinois
· Monmouth Grain and Dryer
· Monmouth Roseville District 238
· Monmouth College
· Chandler Trucking
· Monmouth Township
· Fusion Tech Integrated, Inc.
· Warren County Public Library District
· Tompkins State Bank
· C.E. McChesney Co./ Gladstone Grain Co.
· Instructor, Business Law, Monmouth College, 1977 - 1980
Honors and Awards
· "Outstanding Young Religious Leader," Monmouth Jaycees, 1979
Professional Associations and Memberships
· First Christian Church of Monmouth Illinois, 1976 - Present
· Warren County Bar Association, 1977 - 1978
· Warren County YMCA, 1986 - 1991
· National Arbitration Forum, 2004 - Present
|IL||Active And Authorized To Practice Law||1972||03/13/2021|
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated||Martindale-Hubbell||2016|
|Client Satisfaction Award - 10 Best 2015||American Institute of Personal Injury Lawyers||2015|
|Ten Best 2015 Client Satisfaction||American Institute of Personal Injury Lawyers||2015|
|Illinois Super Lawyer||Law and Politics Magazine||2007|
|Order of the Coif||Northwestern University School of Law||1972|
|Magnum cum Laude||Northwestern University School of Law||1972|
|Editor of the Law Review||Northwestern University School of Law||1971|
|Summa Cum Laude (1st of 1231)||Eastern Illinois University||1969|
|Sr. Partner||Whitman Baber & Siegel||1973 - Present|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|National Arbitration Forum||Mediator||2004 - Present|
|First Christian Church||Elder||1976 - Present|
|Warren County Bar Association||Member||1973 - Present|
|Illinois State Bar Association||Member||1972 - Present|
|Warren County YMCA||Director||1986 - 1991|
|Warren County Bar Association||President||1977 - 1978|
|Monmouth College||Instructor of Business Law||1977 - 1980|
|Chancery and Special Remedies||Actions in Accounting||2008|
|Illinois Causes of Actions-Elements, Forms and Winning Tips||Actions in Accounting||2002|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers' Journal||Implied Warranties in the Sale of a New Home||1979|
|Northwestern Illinois University||JD - Juris Doctor||1972|
|Eastern Illinois University||BS - Bachelor of Science||1969|
Posted by anonymous
Fri Feb 28 2014
Posted by Steve
Thu Dec 17 2009
Posted by anonymous
Fri Feb 20 2009
Cash, Check, Credit Card