Suffered a serious injury caused by another's fault? Call for a free consultation. 813-579-6969
My name is Matt Powell, and I am dual Board Certified, Certified by the Florida Bar as a specialist in Civil Litigation and Board Certified by the National Board of Legal Specialties. My firm only represents people who have been injured, we never represent insurance companies. If you have questions about an injury case, please call my office, Powell and Associates at (813) 222-2222.
Matt Powell is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer who represents injured victims and their families in cases involving catastrophic injuries, wrongful death, automobile crashes, brain injuries, sexual assault, trucking crashes, pedestrian accidents, medical malpractice, defective products, birth related injuries, rape cases, dog bites, motorcycle crashes, negligent security, and many other injury cases. He first practiced law with a prominent insurance defense firm in Tallahassee, Florida. The firm represented over 20 insurance companies and defended negligent drivers and doctors. During that time he learned the methods, techniques and strategies that insurance companies use to reduce the amount of money they pay to people and families who have been injured or killed in accidents or by neglect. After learning these methods and techniques, he decided to stop representing insurance companies. He left the insurance defense law firm and opened his own law firm to represent individuals. One year later, he moved his practice to Tampa to be closer to his family. Matt has practiced in the historic landmark building known as the Hutchison Mansion on Plant Avenue in Tampa since 1989. Matt Powell is an AV rated lawyer and is Board Certified by the Florida Bar as a specialist in the area of civil litigation. He is also Board Certified by the Naitonal Board of Legal Specialization as a certified Civil Trial Lawyer.
He has been involved in the advancement of imaging protocols for cervial ligament injuries. His use of the Digital Motion X-Ray combined with anitomical studies done with an Upright MRI. This combination of technology has allowed him to show and sucessfully prove "soft tissue" injuries in the necks of his clients.
Admissions and Certifications:
• 2010 - Certified by the National Board of Legal Specilization as a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer.
• 2007 - Certified by the Florida Bar as a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer.
• 1992 - Admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States of America
• 1990 - Admitted into the Federal Eleventh District Court of Appeal
• 1989 - Admitted into the Federal United States Middle District Court of Florida
• 1988 - Admitted to the Missouri Bar
• 1987 - Admitted to the Florida Bar
• 1987 - Earned Juris Doctorate with honors from the Florida State College of Law
• 1984 - Received B.S. from the University of Central Florida
• 1988 - present - Sustaining member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of
America now known as the American Justice Association
• 1989 - Admitted Eagle Member, Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers now known as the Florida Justice Association
Books Authored by Matt Powell:
• 1996 - Author "What to Do in Case You Are in an Automobile
• 1998 - Co-Author of: "Knowing Your Rights Concerning Medical Malpractice"
• 1999 - Co-Author of "Automobile Accident Injury Guide"
Films produced by Matt Powell:
• 2008 Produced the documentary film Hidden Damage. This film addresses the legal and medical issues that most people must address after a car accident.
• 1987 - Harvard Negotiation Project – Getting to Yes Negotiation seminar
• 1999 - Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Graduate
Teaching, Lecturing and Presentations given by Matt Powell:
• 2003 – “Operation manual for the witness chair” How to testify clearly and effectively.
• 2004 – “How to prove soft tissue injuries with the use of Digital Motion X-Ray”.
• 2005 – “Proving Cervical Injuries through basic physics, understanding the phases of motion that injure the spine”
• 2006 – Presentation to the Minneapolis Trial Lawyers Association: Proving Cervical Injuries for their true value, how to use Upright MRI to show ligament injuries.
• 2007 – Workhorse Seminar presented before the State of Florida Justice Association: Cutting Edge Imaging For Soft Tissue Injuries - What is new for 2007
• 2008 – Workhorse Seminar presented before the State of Florida Justice Association: Medical Causation Issues That Come Up In Several Cases
• 2009 – Workhorse Seminar presented before the State of Florida Justice Association: An In-Depth strategy and Tactics Assessment and Study into the Techniques and Methods of Interrogating Defense Medical Examiners in Order to Maximize the Benefit For Your Client and in Order to Obtain Truthful Responses
• 2010 – Workhorse Seminar presented before the State of Florida Justice Association: Cutting Edge MRI techniques for use at trial to objectively show soft tissue injuries including brain injuries
English, Vietnamese, Spanish
|MO||Good Standing, Active||1988||10/24/2019|
|FL||Member in Good Standing||1987||09/12/2019|
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|Board Certification Civil Trial Lawyer||National Board of Trial Advocacy||2010|
|Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer||Florida Bar||2007|
|Certificate of Achievement||Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers||2002|
|Partner||MattLaw||1989 - Present|
|Partner||Yates & Powell||1988 - 1989|
|Attorney||Fuller Johnson and Farrell||1987 - 1988|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|Amputee Coalition of America||Member||2010 - Present|
|National Spinal Cord Injury Association||Member||2010 - Present|
|Unite 2 Fight Paralysis||Member||2010 - Present|
|Public Justice Foundation||Member||2010 - Present|
|Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America||State Advisory Board Member||2010 - Present|
|The National Crime Victim Bar Association||Member||2009 - Present|
|Southern Trial Lawyers Association||Member||2009 - Present|
|National Center for Victims of Crime||Member||2006 - Present|
|Florida Justice Association||Eagle Member||2003 - Present|
|Missouri Bar||Attorney||1988 - Present|
|Florida Trial Lawyers Association||Eagle Member||1987 - Present|
|American Association for Justice||Presidents Club||1987 - Present|
|Hidden Damage||Hidden Damage a 30 minute documentary film about car crashes, the medical and legal aspects you may want to know||2008|
|Automobile Accident Injury Guide - Step By Step Procedures To Protect Your Rights||Automobile Accident Injury Guide - Step By Step Procedures To Protect Your Rights||1999|
|Know Your Rights Concerning Medical Malpractice - A Simple Guide to A Complex Issue||Know Your Rights Concerning Medical Malpractice - A Simple Guide To A Complex Issue||1998|
|The Florida State University College of Law||Juris Doctorate with Honors||1987|
|University of Central Florida||Bachelor of Science||1984|
|University of Florida||Associate of Arts||1983|
|Workhorse Seminar 2010||Cutting Edge MRI techniques for use at trial to objectively show soft tissue injuries including brain injuries||2010|
|Workhorse Seminar 2009||An In-Depth strategy and Tactics Assessment and Study into the Techniques and Methods of Interrogating Defense Medical Examiners in Order to Maximize the Benefit For Your Client and in Order to Obtain Truthful Responses||2009|
|Workhorse Seminar 2008||Medical Causation Issues That Come Up In Several Cases||2008|
|Workhorse Seminar 2007||Cutting Edge Imaging For Soft Tissue Injuries - What is new for 2007||2007|
|Medicine and the Law||Proving Cervical Injuries for their true value, how to use Upright MRI to show ligament injuries||2007|
|Functional Imaging and Anatomy with Digital Motion X-Ray||Proving Soft Tissue Injuries with Digital Motion X-ray and Upright MRI imaging||2007|
|Upright Imaging Seminar||Proving Cervical Injuries for their true value, how to use Upright MRI to show ligament injuries||2006|
|Proving Cervical Injuries through basic physics, and understanding the phases of motion that inure the spine||Causation of injuries to the Cervical Spine from low speed rear end car crashes||2005|
|Innovator 2004 Digital Motion X-Ray||“How to prove soft tissue injuries with the use of Digital Motion X-Ray||2004|
|Innovator Conference for State of the Art Digital Motion X-ray Technology||Operation manual for the witness chair” How to testify clearly and effectively||2003|
Posted by anonymous
Sat Feb 06 2010
Posted by anonymous
Thu Oct 02 2008
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to the information we collect from state bar associations and other organizations that license legal professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do not.
Years licensed, work experience, education
Peer endorsements, associations, awards
Publications, speaking engagements