Skip to main content


Not yet reviewed

About me

Judge William H. “Billy” Murphy, Jr. is the founder and a senior partner of Murphy, Falcon & Murphy in Baltimore. With more than 42 years of practice in state courts, Judge Murphy has been successful in over 90% of his state court cases and over 40% of his federal cases–four times higher than the national average of 9%.


In the courtroom, he’s known as an expert litigator with a calm and calculated approach for getting to the truth. Judge Murphy is most energized when battling the powerful to protect the rights of the innocent and under-represented. 


Judge Murphy is legendary among trial attorneys, known for his creative and systematic approach to commanding any situation in court. At every turn, he has been able to out-strategize, out-organize and simply out-work his opponents. His exceptional ability to cross-examine any witness has led him to countless victories. “In court, you only know, at best, 60 percent of what’s going to happen. The other 40 percent is unexpected. You state your theme. Then you improvise and, at the end, restate the theme,” he says.


His 1998 victory for boxing promoter Don King became a legendary case in sports history and garnered wide-spread attention throughout the nation. In a case of wire fraud charges brought on by UK-based bank, Lloyd’s of London, Judge Murphy defended Mr. King’s participation in fraudulently claiming $350,000 of refunds from a cancelled boxing match. Through his extensive knowledge on the case and fearless cross-examination of Mr. King’s former accountant, all nine counts were ultimately dismissed.


In 2008, Judge Murphy and his team at Murphy, Falcon & Murphy reached a $54 million settlement with Constellation Energy on behalf of homeowners in the Baltimore area whose private drinking wells were contaminated by coal ash.


In August 2010, he and his team of attorneys represented 23 plaintiffs who were awarded $34.33 million in damages after a Baltimore City jury found that they had been permanently injured in a carbon monoxide release at an Inner Harbor restaurant.


Judge Murphy is a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Maryland School of Law.



Photos and videos

1555494 1366993489

1555494 1366993339

1555494 1366993247

Practice areas


  1. Criminal Defense: 40%
    3 years
  2. Birth Injury: 20%
  3. Medical Malpractice: 20%
  4. Personal Injury: 10%
  5. Wrongful Death: 10%

Attorney endorsements

2 total 

Are you an attorney? Endorse this lawyer

  • Thomas F. Yost Jr.

    Billy is an outstanding advocate for his clients.


    Thomas Yost Personal injury Attorney
    Relationship: Worked together on matter

  • Mary McNamara Koch

    I endorse this lawyer.


    Mary Koch Medical malpractice Attorney
    Relationship: Co-worker

Contact info

Murphy, Falcon & Murphy

One South Street, 23rd Floor
Baltimore, MD, 21202


We have not found any instances of professional misconduct for this lawyer.
Avvo contributions
Legal answers
Award nameGrantorDate granted
Clarence Darrow AwardMass Torts Made Perfect Conference2012
100 Top Trial Lawyers in the U.S.American Trial Lawyers Association2011
The Bar Register of Preeminent LawyersMartindale-Hubbell2011
Whitney M. Young, Jr. Memorial AwardUrban League of Greater Baltimore2010
Top Attorney in MarylandBaltimore Magazine Super Lawyers2010
Trailblazer AwardMinority Business Summit2009
Influential MarylanderThe Daily Record2008
Lifetime AwardBlack CEO Summit Trailblazer Award2007
Charles Hamilton Houston Award for Lifetime AchievementUniversity of Baltimore School of Law2004
Top Ten Criminal Lawyers in MarylandBaltimore Magazine1996
AV RatingMartindale-Hubbell1985
25 Smartest People in BaltimoreBaltimore MagazineN/A
Work experience
TitleCompany nameDuration
Attorney and Founding PartnerMurphy, Falcon & Murphy1970 - Present
Association namePosition nameDuration
National Association of Criminal Defense LawyersLifetime Member2002 - Present
Maryland Trial Lawyers AssociationBoard of GovernorsN/A
American Bar AssociationN/AN/A
American Association for JusticeN/AN/A
National Bar AssociationN/AN/A
Maryland Criminal Defense Lawyers AssociationN/AN/A
Maryland Association for JusticeBoard of GovernorsN/A
Legal cases
Case nameOutcome
Water Contaminated by Coal Ash Harms Maryland Community$54 million settlement
Man Paralyzed After Altercation with Police$44 million verdict
Restaurant Workers Suffer Brain Damage from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning$34.4 million verdict
See all legal cases 
School nameMajorDegreeGraduated
University of Maryland School of LawLawJD - Juris Doctor1969
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyN/ABS - Bachelor of Science1965
Speaking engagements
Conference nameTitleDate
Trial Skills 2013Cross-Examination Challenges2013
NACDL 56th Annual Meeting & SeminarThe Defense Role in Pretrial & Trial Publicity in the Midst of Modern Technology: Current Considerations2013