Stephen Howard Ring
Consumer protection Attorney at Rockville, MD
also known as Steve Ring
Licensed for 44 years
45 years, 200 cases
45 years, 900 cases
45 years, 100 cases
45 years, 900 cases
Steve Ring has practiced law in Maryland and Washington, D.C. for over forty years. He has litigated in the state and federal courts in those two jurisdictions and in several other states. His cases cover a wide range of subject areas including complex civil litigation and class actions. Business disputes and unlawful advertising are two main areas of focus. His practice also includes wills and probate, as well as estate litigation.
Ring was born in Washington, D.C., attended Georgetown Preparatory School, Dartmouth College (BA philosopy) and Boston University School of Law (JD 1977). He served as a law clerk for the Honorable Richard B. Latham of the Circuit Court for Montomgery County, and entered practice as a trial attorney with Brault, Graham, Scott and Brault, handling a variety of litigation and probate matters. In 1987 he opened his own office, handling complex civil litigation including class actions. Ring has been active in local and state bar associations including four terms on the Maryland State Bar Association Board of Governors.
Ring has a wide range of personal interests incluing jazz, art, tennis and inventions. He has personally obtained patents and trademarks.
Ring has handled hundreds of cases at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts, including dozens of trials taken to verdict or judgment. Court cases are viewable in the state and federal court records online.
Ring not only writes wills and trusts but also litigates estate disputes, which gives perspective on how estate planning documents play out in court.
Recent probate estate cases of note:
-- Represented surviving spouse in complex dispute over intestate estate involving assets in three countries, complex family relationships. Client ended up retaining main asset, decedent's residence. 2020.
- Defended trustee in suit by residuary beneficiaries over alleged self-dealing, mismanagement, taking of trust funds. Trustee contended all transactions were pursuant to decedent's wishes. Settled. 2021.
- Representing personal representative and successor trustee in estate/trust matter involving complex real estate transfers, re-opening of closed estate of spouse, continued operation of trust.
- Representing personal representative in estate involving transfer-on-death distribution of shares in an LLC and other substantial assets.
- Defended nephew of decedent against claims of undue influence regarding will. Decedent had amended will to favor nephew, leaving few assets for other beneficiaries. Evidence showed decedent was competent and there was no undue influence. Case settled, honoring the will. 2020.
Recent commercial and consumer litigation of note:
- Defended limited liability company against derivative suit. Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed suit after exchange of motions in 2022.
- Represented consumer in claims against online automobile vendor arising from delays in delivery of title. 2022.
- Represented consumers who received unsolicited faxes and robo-calls offering home security systems, loans, vehicles and other products and services in individual cases and as co-counsel in class actions. 2005 and onging.
We have not found any instances of professional misconduct for this lawyer.