Tessa Cohen’s Answers

Tessa Cohen

Vancouver Divorce / Separation Lawyer.

Contributor Level 4
  1. I got married overseas...how to file divorce?

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Tessa Cohen
    2. Dave Hawkins
    3. Bruce Clement
    4. Thuong-Tri Nguyen
    4 lawyer answers

    If one of the parties and any children to the marriage have lived in Washington for the 6 months immediately preceding filing a petition for dissolution and continue to reside in Washington, then the state of Washington will likely have jurisdiction over the dissolution action. There are specific questions on the Petition for Dissolution that pertain directly to Washington's jurisdiction over the matter. Additionally, if there are children of the marriage then you will want to file a Proposed...

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  2. WA state tribal, native american indian law

    Answered over 5 years ago.

    1. Lori J Guevara
    2. Tessa Cohen
    3. Patricia Paul
    4. Albert Robert Rhoan Jr
    4 lawyer answers

    Disputes regarding the internal tribal affairs of a tribal government would fall under the exclusive jurisdiction of the tribe's tribal court. Each tribe as its own sovereign government has its own constitution and tribal code. Consult the particular tribe's constitution and tribal code as to what remedy can be achieved through the tribe's tribal court. Many tribe's constitutions and codes are readily available on the tribe's web page, others are available at many area law school libraries....

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer