Skip to main content
Mark C Cogan

Mark Cogan’s Answers

629 total

  • What would I be facing for burglary 2 and criminal trespass 2 for a first time offense with no previous records what do I pled?

    Albany, Oregon. What do I do and how do I not get charged with these charges? What is going to happen? What should I do?

    Mark’s Answer

    There are many things that criminal defense attorneys can do to help clients in your situation. One possibility is working out a civil compromise to settle the case without criminal charges being pursued. Trying to engage in self-representation, is a very poor idea. You should a criminal defense attorney immediately. Do not post anything else online concerning your situation. Anything you post online can be read by the prosecutor, the police, and others who do not have your best interests at heart.

    See question 
  • FInding out if I have any warrants

    I am renewing my passport abroad after a name change 4 years ago and after 10 weeks I was informed it is under review and that I did, or may have (not sure which they said), broken laws in the US and in my country of residence. They did not expoun...

    Mark’s Answer

    Consult privately with a criminal defense attorney in the jurisdiction in which you may have pending criminal charges. Contacting the authorities yourself could be problematic. Having an attorney make discrete inquiries on your behalf would be much better than you doing this yourself. Attorneys have access to information that is not generally available to the public. Also, having an attorney conduct the inquiries on your behalf insulates you from being questioned by law enforcement.

    See question 
  • Should my husband waive his extradition hearing? How do I find out the date his warrant was issued?

    My husband was arrested in Eugene Oregon a few weeks ago. He is being held on a no bond hold from Idaho because he obsconded from his parole there. He also has new felony charges in oregon. Poss. Of meth, DUI, fleeing out of state parole, assault ...

    Mark’s Answer

    In many cases, it makes sense to waive extradition. The reason is that, until the person is extradited to the state that is seeking extradition, the person will not get credit for any of the jail time being served in the state where he is being detained. In other cases, it makes sense to oppose extradition, and seek an opportunity for the person to return to the other state voluntarily. It is not usually possible to post bond for a parole violation, however. Generally speaking, the person must resolve his pending charges in the state where he is being detained before he will be extradited. Attorneys can be helpful in situations like this. Most likely, he will need legal representation in both states. If you want specific information about the pending warrant in Idaho, you should ask the authorities in that State. An attorney may be able to assist in prying information loose from the authorities.

    See question 
  • I have a citation for Theft II 5.294 in Oregon. This is my first offense in Oregon. What would likely be my punishment?

    This is my first offense in Oregon. I have a prior petty theft in California. Will Oregon find the California conviction? Is there an alternative punishment that I could receive instead of being placed on probation?

    Mark’s Answer

    The outcome in your case will depend on a number of factors. These include the following:

    1. Which county is going to consider your case,

    2. The strength of the evidence against you,

    3. Whether you made any incriminating statements,

    4. The details concerning the property which you allegedly stole, and the circumstances in which you were apprehended,

    5. Any violations of your Constitutional rights which could be rectified in a Motion to Suppress Evidence,

    6. Whether the alleged victim is amenable to a Civil Compromise,

    7. Whether the court and/or DA's office has a Diversion Program you might be able to enter to resolve your case,

    8. Whether you have any factual or legal defenses to the charge, and

    9 the skill of your lawyer.

    I urge you to consult a criminal defense attorney immediately. The consequences of any criminal charge can be very severe. You should not discuss this with anyone other than your legal counsel. And you should not post anything further about your matter online.

    See question 
  • Deportation after getting out of prison for a felony?

    My brother has been a us resident for 35 yes clean récord and he was just convicted of a felony and given a 10 year sentence. He's residency expires in 5 years my question is will he deported after his sentence or before?

    Mark’s Answer

    Usual practice is that a prisoner will serve out his sentence in this country before deportation. However, there are exceptions. The United States has treaties with other countries that allow a prisoner to be repatriated to his home country to serve his prison sentence there. Two of our clients have opted for this. The procss of repatriation requires cooperation between the United States and the person's home country. A lawyer can help move this process forward.

    See question 
  • What will happen to my husbund he was charged with a dcs and a pcs meth and he don't have a criminal history he plead not guilty

    He has no prior record

    Mark’s Answer

    It is not possible for an attorney to answer your question without complete information about the facts and circumstances of the matter. Results in criminal cases depend on the precise situation. Outcomes can vary widely depending on the details. Your husband needs to consult privately with a criminal defense attorney in order to explore his options. You should not post anything about his case online, because anything you post can be read by the police, the prosecutor, and others who do not have your husband's best interests at heart.

    See question 
  • What will happen to my family member?

    One of my family members was arrested for manufacturing MDMA, delivery of MDMA and possession of MDMA. 2 class A felonies and one B. After two hours in jail he was released with no bail. Like they just let him go. And this is his first offense. Wh...

    Mark’s Answer

    Outcomes in criminal cases vary widely according to the circumstances. In order to evaluate a case like this, we would need much more information. We would need to know where your family member is being charged, what kind of evidence the authorities have against him, and what possible defenses he might have. Your family member needs to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. He should not discuss his case with anybody other than his defense counsel. Nor should he post anything online about his legal situation.

    See question 
  • Will i be arrested at the airport?

    I have a felony arrest warrant for theft from 11+ years ago in marion county oregon I moved to Texas around that time due to drug use and trouble I was getting into. Having stayed I would be dead or in prison. Since leaving I have done a complete ...

    Mark’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    Anyone who has a warrant is at risk of being arrested at any time. We have a client who was arrested at the airport upon arrival in Portland because he had an active warrant. Another client was arrested because of a warrant when he was pulled over for a traffic violation. Yet another client arrested because the police came to investigate a burglary where the client was the victim. So it is entirely possible that you could be arrested when you arrive at the Portland airport.

    Although you cannot control when and where the police will arrest you, you can make some good choices about how to handle the situation, which will put you in the best position possible. I recommend that you contact a defense attorney immediately for a confidential consultation. You should not post anything else about your situation online.

    You need to be aware that any statements you make to the police will be used against you. So the only thing you should say to the police when they speak with you is that you will not talk without your attorney present. If you are not arrested upon your arrival at the Portland airport, you should turn yourself in and clear up your bench warrant as soon as possible. By coming in voluntarily, you will show that you are not a flight risk and you intend to handle this responsibly. As a result, your chance of being released pending the outcome of your case will be significantly improved.

    See question 
  • Does probation start after i finish jail sentence

    boyfriend was arrested for possession. went to court and on sentencing day the judge allowed him to his affairs in order and set up another court date was going to do 4 months in jail and 1 yr probation.. he never went back to court. he moved out ...

    Mark’s Answer

    Probation begins on the day of sentence. Therefore, if the person was not sentenced, he cannot be on probation for that crime. If the person was sentenced to probation, the probationary sentence would begin at the time sentence is imposed by the court.

    Generally, when a person fails to perform the requirements of probation, a violation is issued. When a person is in violation status, the probation will not expire until the person clears up the violation. The exact circumstances will depend on a number of factors, and can vary widely from one jurisdiction to another.

    If a person is on probation supervision at the time of committing a Federal crime, the Federal Sentencing Guidelines call for 2 criminal history points to be assigned. Your boyfriend's attorney will want to look closely at the situation to ascertain whether your boyfriend was on probation supervision in order to determine whether the 2 points should be assigned.

    The Federal Sentencing Guidelines are advisory, not mandatory. Although the Sentencing Guidelines do have influence over the sentence a person will receive in Federal Court, there are many additional factors that often go into such determinations.

    See question 
  • What to do if I was charged with assault 4 when all I did was defend myself?

    I was visiting my friends in Corvallis and while I was at my friends house, a drunk college student was causing trouble to my friends that were simply trying to get him to get out of his home. The belligerent drunk person started to throw punches ...

    Mark’s Answer

    What you should do is contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. Any time a person is facing a criminal charge, there are potential consequences. These consequences include getting a criminal record, having to serve jail time, and financial penalties. You will not get legal counsel from the Internet. Even worse, anything you post online can be read by the police, the prosecutor, and others who do not have your best interests at heart. Be smart and contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. Many defense attorneys offer free and confidential consultations to potential clients.

    See question