Based on 1 review
Help make it easier for other Avvo users to choose the right lawyer by sharing your experience with this attorney. It's fast, simple, and safe.
Lawyers: Use the Peer Endorsements section to provide input about other attorneys.
Posted by InquiringMinds, a Landlord & Tenant client,
I retained Doug Eckes Esq. for Motion to Set Aside Default of Judgment and Stay of Execution after I failed to file answer to my landlords Unlawful Detainer. Nevertheless, my landlord’s attorney agreed to stipulate after speaking with Doug, contingent on us filing answer to Unlawful Detainer. Doug agreed to file answer without representation for Unlawful Detainer. However, two days later I received a call from Doug asking if I wanted to retain his services for Unlawful Detainer… I agreed. At first we could not agree on representation fee because he was asking for an amount very different than his ad. Needless to say, Doug agreed to represent me for the amount in his ad… less than 24 hours after agreeing to have Doug represent me for the Unlawful Detainer, I ended our client/attorney relationship to seek other representation.
As a courtesy, I offered Doug a quarter percent of the retainer that was paid to him for the Unlawful Detainer. Doug declined my offer, he instead chose to return funds, verbally insult me via phone and via text. After this, I chose to move forward and represent myself until I retained the right attorney. I’m writing the following review for these reasons, please see below:
1. Doug agreed to file Unlawful Detainer Answer for me. However, he filed answer in both our names which officially made him my attorney. Something, I later realized… not to mention Doug never gave me a copy of the answer. This is why Doug contacted me days after filing Unlawful Detainer answer asking if I wanted to retain his services. I have to say, this was calculating but smart of him to gain business.
2. After terminating Doug, he told me that he wished that he took my landlords attorney advice and not represent for various reasons (all offensive to me).
3. After realizing Doug was my attorney until he and /or I file Substitution of Attorney. I contacted Doug for his assistance and explained that I would file Substitution of Attorney on our behalf. Needless to say, Doug refused to sign Substitution of Attorney until weeks after his termination and me threatening to file complaint to BAR.
4. Doug filed Unlawful Detainer answer in his own print hand writing, which was not legible per the Judge and /or to any reader.
5. The Unlawful Detainer answer that Doug filed on my behalf, in response to my landlords Unlawful Detainer was rejected by the Judge. Per the Judge, Doug did check the correct defense, date answer and signed in the incorrect spots.
This is my true experience and nothing more. Anyone trying to dispute my review will be met with facts.