Diana L. Powell’s Answers

Diana L. Powell

Littleton Family Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 7
  1. "ve been divorced since 1995 he's since retired in the military,ive been recieving partcial retirement can he stop it

    Answered almost 3 years ago.

    1. David Littman
    2. Diana L. Powell
    3. Christopher Daniel Leroi
    4. Scott Allen Scholl
    4 lawyer answers

    If you receive your miitary retirement pay directly from DFAS on a Military Pension Division Order, under the Former Spouse Protection Act, the payments will end only on the first to occur of the death of the former service member or you. (Payment directly from DFAS depends on having been married to the service member for 10 years during at least 10 years of creditable service.) (Whether there are survivor benefits after his death payable to you depends on whether they were provided for...

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Can my mother-in-law charge me for rent? Does she have the right to start charging me for past & future months?

    Answered almost 3 years ago.

    1. Stephen Clark Harkess
    2. Christopher Daniel Leroi
    3. David Littman
    4. April D Jones
    5. Diana L. Powell
    5 lawyer answers

    Your wife’s mother is your landlord and you are her holdover tenant. She can evict you, but she has little chance to enforce claims for past rent, without either (1) proof that there was a written rental agreement or (2) proof you previously paid rent and expenses to document a verbal agreement. On the other hand, she still gets to evict you. Resisting eviction is expensive, and offers only a short delay for the inevitable. If things don't settle down, it is time to leave your mother-in-...

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  3. What type of things look good to the judge when fighting for custody for your child?

    Answered over 4 years ago.

    1. Diana L. Powell
    1 lawyer answer

    When you mention that your boyfriend is trying to fight for his son, and you talk about custody, it is important to mention that in Colorado we refer to these issues as allocation of parental responsibilities and determination of parenting time. A parent may have joint decision-making with the other parent, with very little parenting time, or a parent may have equal parenting time and the other parent may have sole decision-making, either for all major decisions or in a particular category,...

    2 people marked this answer as helpful

We're ready to help. Contact us today.