Eugene Scott Baroway’s Answers

Eugene Scott Baroway

Denver Mediation Attorney.

Contributor Level 5
  1. In our initial divorce decree it states that the Petitioner needs to be up to date with child support to claim kids on taxes.

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Eugene Scott Baroway
    2. Daniel Nelson Deasy
    3. Mary Katherine Brown
    4. Christopher Michael Larson
    5. Henry Daniel Lively
    5 lawyer answers

    Your status regarding your legal right to claim the tax dependency exemption for a minor child should have been set out in your original parental responsibility plan. It is independent of who has been awarded custody/primary care of the children. Unless the court also modified that part of the order, the original order still applies. If the original order was silent, you may need to ask the court to enter an order on this issue. This is important since current IRS automation will reject a...

    5 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. How does common law marriage work?

    Answered 5 months ago.

    1. Eugene Scott Baroway
    2. Robert Vance Salter
    3. Guy Russell Greenstein
    4. Karl J Geil
    4 lawyer answers

    Common law marriage is based upon the history of two parties 1) living together, (no specific term is required or automatically creates a marriage) 2) agreeing they are married, and 3) holding themselves out to the public as being married. There are many possible indicators of their agreement that they are married beyond the explicit verbal expression of marriage such as filing tax returns together, buying insurance as husband and wife, filling out credit applications as husband and wife,...

    4 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. What can I do if my husband filed a joint return without my knowledge and did not have my consent to do so?

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Christopher Daniel Leroi
    2. Anne Whalen Gill
    3. Eugene Scott Baroway
    3 lawyer answers

    You can request a copy of all the tax returns he has ever filed in your name directly from the IRS. In addition, there is an innocent spouse exemption that you may qualify for if there are taxes or penalties owed. You may also have a civil claim against him for your share of any refund due or previously paid for 2011 if you file for divorce in district court this year.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  4. Is it right for my lawyer to tell me to go to courthouse and get my divroce decree myself?

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Michael Franklin
    2. Stephen Clark Harkess
    3. Mary Katherine Brown
    4. Eugene Scott Baroway
    5. Robert West
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    Go to the domestic relations clerk at the courthouse where your divorce was entered and ask for a certified copy of your decree. You will need an original for the Department of Motor Vehicles to change your name on your license.

  5. Pretrial divorce memorandum

    Answered about 1 month ago.

    1. Anton R. Reinert
    2. Adam S. Avratin
    3. Alan James Brinkmeier
    4. Eugene Scott Baroway
    4 lawyer answers

    There are many lawyers and mediators who can assist you in drafting all the necessary documents to have your divorce finalized and approved by the court. Ask about "unbundled legal services" which allows a lawyer to assist you without formally representing you. Additionally, mediators who are licensed attorneys, in many states, are also allowed to draft all the necessary required court documents to have your cased finalized.

  6. What happens when non custodial parent misses visitations and mediation

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Michael John Apicella
    2. Eugene Scott Baroway
    2 lawyer answers

    You should contact an attorney to assist you. If there is a domestic violence case against him, and he is not showing up for visitations, many if not most courts will restrict visitation until both DV counseling has been completed and a history of reliable appearances for limited visits has been established.

  7. Can I enforce my mediation agreement

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Glenn E. Tanner
    2. Dave Hawkins
    3. Paul Stuart Weidenfeld
    4. Eugene Scott Baroway
    4 lawyer answers

    You should contact the court clerk where your case is filed and the division clerk that your case was assigned to. First, see if the mediation agreement was ever entered by the judge. It could have been. If not, ask if you will need a hearing date to get it approved by the judge, and if so, for a hearing date to get it entered as an order. As a procedural matter, most stipulations (agreements signed by both parties) are entered by judges without court appearances by the parties. However,...