Katherine Marie Gaumond’s Answers

Katherine Marie Gaumond

Milwaukee Litigation Lawyer.

Contributor Level 2
  1. Is it legal for an employer to deduct money from hourly wages in order to make up for stolen money?

    Answered 8 months ago.

    1. Katherine Marie Gaumond
    2. Mark A. Jinkins
    3. Cale Plamann
    3 lawyer answers

    Wisconsin Statute generally prohibits deductions from paychecks due to theft. The statute reads: 103.455  Deductions for faulty workmanship, loss, theft or damage. No employer may make any deduction from the wages due or earned by any employee, who is not an independent contractor, for defective or faulty workmanship, lost or stolen property or damage to property, unless the employee authorizes the employer in writing to make that deduction or unless the employer and a representative...

    Selected as best answer

  2. Can I file a complaint against my Employer based on an unwarranted demotion?

    Answered 8 months ago.

    1. Christian K. Lassen II
    2. Katherine Marie Gaumond
    2 lawyer answers

    Wisconsin is an at-will employment state so unless you are covered by an employment contract or union agreement, an employer can demote someone for any reason or no reason at all unless it is an illegal reason. It is the employee's burden to prove the illegal reason. In this case, perhaps the employee could demonstrate that it was due to gender, age or race. It is illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for asserting a gender, age or race discrimination claim, but the employee...