Case Conclusion Date:December 9, 2002
Practice Area:Medical Malpractice
Description:Strangulation death of a ten month old child in Macomb County. Infant child swallowed a small screw at home and was becoming cyanotic. When EMT's arrived they placed an airway and child responded immediately. While in the ER a nurse cut the airway tube and instead of leaving it in place she removed it. A resident CRNA was called to replace the tube and misplaced it. Prior xays reveled the screw was already in the stomach and there was no need for the airway. Death occurred over ten hours as a result of a misplacement of an ET tube into the esophagus.