Skip to main content
Gregory M. Travalio

Gregory Travalio’s Answers

2 total

  • I agreed to pay $10 per hour for work on my driveway for some back hoe work. There was never a written contract.

    A friend offered to do some work on my driveway. All he asked was for me to pay a friend of his who was out of work $10 per hour. They told me it would take 20-30 hours. I ended up paying for over 60 hours. Now he is trying to say I owe him for fu...

    Gregory’s Answer

    Oral contracts are generally enforceable. There are a number of exceptions but the facts that you have given does not indicate that this contract falls within any exception. In this case, whether you are responsible for the additional amount will depend upon what you and your friend said about the compensation for the work. As a general matter, when you hire a contractor to do a job for a particular amount, the cost of the materials is included in the price of the job, unless you agree to separately compensate the contractor for the materials. The bottom line is after considering all of the communications between you and your friend whether it was reasonable for you to assume that the cost of materials would be included in the price.

    See question 
  • I paid a contractor to do some remodeling. I have a written agreement. He never completed work and refuses to answer phone.

    I have a written agreement. He started the vinyl siding and never finished it. He installed new double pane tilt in windows, but installed the framing around them wrong, and now the windows won't tilt in, and he never finished the framing. He was ...

    Gregory’s Answer

    Of course, you have the right to sue him for breach of contract. More importantly, however, most states have statutes protecting consumers from this type of conduct which often allow for multiple or punitive damages and for your attorney fees. In addition, you can report the contractor to the Attorney General. Most states' Attorney General offices have consumer protection divisions that can assist you in recovering your money.

    See question