Skip to main content
Faye Riva Cohen

Faye Cohen’s Answers

1 total

  • I live in PA and have a child with my exhusband. We have no written arrangement for custody or visitation, can I move?

    My parents, whom I live with, might move to CA. If so, I cannot afford to stay here so my child and I would be moving with them. Our child has been living with me full time since separating two years ago and I do have a child support order but my ...

    Faye’s Answer

    I would note that in Pennsylvania child support and child custody are two separate legal issues although in practical terms they seem very interrelated. Therefore, his lack of child support payments would not necessarily cause the father to have diminished custodial rights. Your safest bet is to formally secure a Orders for custody and relocation from a court in your jurisdiction before making any drastic moves. Attempting to move without such Orders is possible but extremely risky and may cause your child to return to Pennsylvania against your desires. I would not advise you to take any action without the Court's intervention. Indeed, you should contact an attorney to discuss the details of your case.

    See question