Joseph Abraham Bahgat’s Answers

Joseph Abraham Bahgat

New Brunswick Internet Lawyer.

Contributor Level 8
  1. Is a Copyright Lawyer and an Entertainment Lawyer the same thing?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    2. Frank Anthony Natoli
    3. Ivan Jose Parron
    4. Pamela Koslyn
    5. David Lawrence Berke
    5 lawyer answers

    Although many, if not most, attorneys who style themselves as 'entertainment lawyers' also know copyright law, there are copyright lawyers who don't consider themselves entertainment lawyers. Copyright is a substantive area of law, whereas 'entertainment law' merely describes a type of law practice. Entertainment lawyers typically handle myriad legal issues related to the entertainment industry—e.g., contracts & licensing, privacy & right of publicity, and some aspects of intellectual property...

    11 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. I was sent a record contract from a record company how do I know if it's real or a scam and can I show you the contract?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    2. Bruce E. Burdick
    3. Maurice N Ross
    4. Robert John Murillo
    5. David M. Slater
    6. ···
    10 lawyer answers

    It seems like the first part of the inquiry has two parts: 1) is the company itself legit; and 2) is the offer to enter into a contract legit? To answer the first question, can you verify that the company exists? Do they have a bona fide physical location? Who sells their records (i.e. do they have distribution)? Next, you need to look at the manner through which you received the contract (fyi it's actually an offer, not a contract). My colleague seems to have covered the types of questions you...

    9 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. How to get bank information from NJ defendant

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    2. Matthew C Simon
    3. Brandy Ann Peeples
    4. Robert Bruce Kopelson
    4 lawyer answers

    In New Jersey courts, you typically want to send the judgment debtor an information subpoena, which requires them to respond to specific questions about the assets they hold (including bank account numbers). The catch is that you shouldn't get your hopes up that all of the sudden they're going to respond to the subpoena—by this point they've already ignored numerous summons, notices, default judgment documents, etc. If they don't respond to the information subpoena, the next step, usually,...

    8 lawyers agreed with this answer

  4. Do I need an attorney?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Matthew Adam Pek
    2. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    3. Alan James Brinkmeier
    4. Josh P Tolin
    5. Richard E Yaskin
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    Let me first say that I am not an employment attorney. I know enough about employment law to know that it's very technical, especially when federal statutes are controlling, and therefore I would advise you to speak with an attorney who specializes in plaintiffs' employment discrimination and retaliation claims. If you look around you should be able to find a competent employment attorney who will discuss your case over the phone, for little or no charge, and after that he or she will be able...

    6 lawyers agreed with this answer

  5. Live in NJ, small claim filed against me from Pinellas County Florida. Do they have jurisdiction, do I have to attend?

    Answered 12 months ago.

    1. Michael D Mirne
    2. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    3. Peter Joseph Lamont
    3 lawyer answers

    It's unlikely from the facts you presented that the Florida court has jurisdiction over you, but there are other factors that could suggest otherwise. Nonetheless, I've seen so many people get tripped up by trying to do something so simple as sending a letter to a court in response to a frivolous lawsuit. I have one former client who essentially did the same thing you did, and then got hit with a $50,000 default judgment against her. You should have sent the court a motion to dismiss for lack...

    Selected as best answer

  6. Can someone Defame the character /reputation of an association, thru social media? And or thru public means.

    Answered 8 months ago.

    1. Andrew Mark Jaffe
    2. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    3. Harry Finkel
    3 lawyer answers

    To add to what my colleagues have already stated, it sounds like your organization would be considered a "public figure" for purposes of defamation liability, and because of that, the burden of proof is higher: You would have to show, not only that the defamatory statements were false, but also that the individuals that made the statements acted with malice, which is a pretty high standard.

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  7. Can nj restraining order be served by certified mail in ny?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    2. Michael David Lindner Jr
    3. Christopher Gary Todd
    3 lawyer answers

    You haven't said what kind of restraining order is at issue, which court entered it, etc. If the order is to be served out of state, as you said, something else I would look into is whether the NJ court that entered the order has jurisdiction over the party being restrained.

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  8. How do I as pro se subpoena an out of state resident?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Michael B. Fusco
    2. Brandy Ann Peeples
    3. Alexander Mchenry Memmen
    4. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    4 lawyer answers

    My colleagues are generally correct insofar as you probably need an attorney to take the helm on something involving multistate or multi-jurisdiction litigation. To give you an idea of how complicated of a process it is to subpoena the deposition of a nonresident, take a look at Rule 4:14-7 of the New Jersey Court Rules. Also, keep in mind that you will have to hire a process server to serve the subpoena, and you must must tender to them statutory mileage/witness fees upon service. You also...

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  9. My son is being sentence on Oct 2012 maybe looking at 20years . I need appeal attorney asap. He 25 years

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Mark M Cheser
    2. Eric M. Mark
    3. Thomas Carroll Blauvelt
    4. Randolph H Wolf
    5. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    5 lawyer answers

    I disagree with the supposition that PCR could be more effective than a direct appeal. In my experience as an appellate court staff attorney, appellants have a much better chance at getting relief on direct appeal than in post-conviction proceedings. Regardless, more facts are needed, and you would be wise to speak with a qualified appellate attorney asap. Although your son likely has an automatic right to appeal the conviction, the likelihood of success will depend on the issue being...

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  10. How do you appeal an IDRC decision pertaining to federal DUI and compliance?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. James P Brady
    2. Joseph Abraham Bahgat
    2 lawyer answers

    Your question is not clear. Are you in the military? Perhaps you need a military attorney? But at the very least, it sounds like you need to consult with an attorney who practices regularly in federal court. Federal court practice and procedure is nothing like practicing in the NJ municipal courts, which is the venue that hears 99% of all DUI cases in this state. You need someone who knows federal courts.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful