Christopher Strang’s Answers

Christopher Strang

Boston Construction / Development Lawyer.

Contributor Level 4
  1. Can an attorney help me? If so, what kind of attorney should I be looking for?

    Answered 6 months ago.

    1. Marianne E. Brown
    2. Christopher Strang
    3. Charles Michael Tobin
    3 lawyer answers

    It sounds like this was someone who is, or was posing as a home improvement contractor. If that is the case, you should contact the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation. They have a department that investigates home improvement contractor complaints. You can find the proper forms and instructions here:

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Roofer may not have pulled permits

    Answered 12 days ago.

    1. Christopher Strang
    1 lawyer answer

    Assuming this is for your residence, and otherwise qualifies under the MA Home Improvement Contractor statute, the contractor is required to secure any necessary permits. The contractor is also prohibited from demanding final payment until the contract work is complete to your satisfaction, which would include providing you with the permit. For more information on your rights under the statute, see here:

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  3. How do I remove mechanic's lien? What steps do I need to take?

    Answered 8 months ago.

    1. Christopher Strang
    2. Andrew J. Lynn
    3. Robert Allen Shipley
    3 lawyer answers

    It depends on the specific facts and circumstances, however, you typically will need a court order in order to get a mechanic's lien removed if you can't get the contractor to voluntarily dissolve it. There are several steps that the contractor must take in limited time frames in order to establish a valid lien. I recommend at least consulting with an attorney about the nature of the lien in order to get more thorough advice.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  4. Can I file a mechanics lien for material specially fabricated for a residence, if notice of identification was sent to GC ?

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Christopher Joseph Fein
    2. Christopher Strang
    3. Steven Robert Striffler
    3 lawyer answers

    There is no such 20 day requirement in the mechanic's lien law. You may have lien rights, but there are several factors that go into determining that. You should contact a MA construction law attorney for more details, and soon. The deadline to file a lien is short.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  5. On What grounds can a contractor revoke a building permit and leave the work site?

    Answered 6 days ago.

    1. Erik Hammarlund
    2. Christopher Strang
    2 lawyer answers

    It really depends on your contract provisions for changes in the scope of work, among other things. I agree that you should consult an attorney, as home improvement contracts contain many pitfalls for the contractors.

  6. The contractor i hired to do my kitchen I paid 1/3 (10,000 dollars) upfront. I want to fire them can I get my money back?

    Answered about 1 month ago.

    1. Christopher Strang
    2. Harry N. Konst
    2 lawyer answers

    The Massachusetts Attorney General's office has very specific rules for home improvement contractors. You can learn about your rights with this guide: It also includes contact information for several people to call with questions or to request assistance in dealing with your contractor. If that doesn't work, you may want to consult an attorney who...