Skip to main content
Kristen McLaughlin

Kristen McLaughlin’s Answers

2 total

  • What will happen to me

    i was charged with a deadly weapon and trespassing i have no record the case ended in a clear without finding. I am currently a student what happens if i didnt pay my probation and my lawyer fees or do my community service ?

    Kristen’s Answer

    It sounds like you mean your case was "Continued Without a Finding" (or CWOF). If that is true, I highly recommend that you do the community service ASAP. Courts will often have leniency with fines on students or those with low income, however community service is very cheap, if not free. If you fail to do the community service within the time allowed (typically one year), you risk a violation of your probation, your case may not be dismissed and could result in a conviction on your criminal record. This is not a charge you want to mess around with - get the money paid and do the service hours.

    See question 
  • My husband got pulled over for DUI and has been sitting in jail for about two months now and hasn't seen a judge is that legal ?

    This happen in Oct.20,2011 Charge :ssault On L/E, C/O, E/P, Hwy Wkr, P&P (Alcohol/Drug) - Vessel-2nd Degree { Felony B RSMo: 565.082 }never has arrangement to lower his bond (100,000)and now his preliminary hearing is on January 25 at 9:00A.M and ...

    Kristen’s Answer

    I practice criminal defense in Florida and Massachusetts, so I cannot speak directly to the laws in Missouri. Prior to a preliminary hearing or arraignment, it's unlikely that a defendant would be brought to court. However, based on your husband's lack of record, I would recommend that you write a letter to his public defender (or the office supervisor if the attorney himself has been nonresponsive) requesting that he file a motion to reduce bail. There are many reasons an attorney can file such a motion (lack of record, owning property, ties to the community, length of time living in the town, education, etc.) and it is worth a try. Good luck!

    See question