Not yet reviewed
John is the Chair of the firm's Real Estate, Land Use and Construction Law Practice Group and a member of the Business Law Group. He counsels his clients in all areas of real estate development, construction law, and commercial and construction financing: including, property acquisitions and dispositions; commercial, industrial, retail and office leasing; zoning; and land use law; and creditors' rights. John provides both preventive and remedial legal counsel to financial institutions, real estate developers, REITS, architects, engineers, hotel owners, construction companies, design builders, commercial lessors and tenants, and title insurance companies. He also has significant experience in environmental matters and brownfields redevelopment.
John Assists Clients With
• Construction and Commercial Financing
• Commercial Leasing
• Condominium Development and Association Management Issues
• Planning, Zoning and Land Use Law
• Environmental Law and Brownfields Redevelopment
• Creditors’ Rights
Examples of John’s Recent Client Work
• Served as local counsel for an international construction and engineering firm for the development of a $2.2 billion power plant.
• Represented a commercial bank on the syndication, acquisition and closing of a $71 million construction loan for a 17 story class A office building.
• Represented a commercial bank on a $16 million refinance of a hotel and restaurant loan.
• Represented a commercial seller on the $3.3 million sale and exchange of a multi-tenant retail shopping center.
• Represents a school district as special real estate counsel on all of its acquisitions and dispositions of school facilities and sites.
• Local counsel for national drug store retailer on municipal permitting for store site locations.
• Served as special real estate counsel for the development of a $107 million newspaper production facility for the owners of the Journal Sentinel, Inc., obtaining a voluntary Party Remediation and Exemption From Liability status for the newspaper. This helped break the cycle of disinvestment in West Milwaukee by allowing the newspaper company to build a new facility in one of the first reclaimed brownfields in the State of Wisconsin.
• Represented Fortune 500 records management firm as local counsel for lease negotiations and disputes.
• Served as counsel for the architectural and engineering design team for the Wisconsin Center.
• Represented a national real estate syndication and management firm in its multi-state acquisitions, financings, and sales of multi-family apartments, office buildings, shopping centers, and other commercial properties.
• Represented a national construction contractor on contract disputes relating to the $3 billion Denver Airport facility.
• Represented a publicly-held hotel and restaurant company in its acquisition of a 1,300 acre resort hotel and conference center in Southeastern Wisconsin.
Cash, Check, Credit card
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law/Real Estate)||Best Lawyers||2017|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Litgation/Corporate Law)||Best Lawyers||2016|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law/Real Estate)||Best Lawyers||2016|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Law & Politics Magazine||2015|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Milwaukee Magazine||2015|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Litgation/Corporate Law)||Best Lawyers||2015|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law/Real Estate)||Best Lawyers||2015|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Litgation/Corporate Law)||Best Lawyers||2014|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law/Real Estate)||Best Lawyers||2014|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Milwaukee Magazine||2013|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Corporate Law/Commercial Litigation)||Best Lawyers||2013|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Litgation/Corporate Law)||Best Lawyers||2013|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Law & Politics Magazine||2013|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Law & Politics Magazine||2012|
|Milwaukee's Leading Lawyers (Const., Land Use & Real Estate)||M Magazine||2012|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law/Real Estate||Best Lawyers||2012|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Milwaukee Magazine||2012|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Law & Politics Magazine||2011|
|Best Lawyers in American® (Construction Law/Real Estate||Best Lawyers||2011|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Milwaukee Magazine||2011|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Milwaukee Magazine||2010|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Law & Politics Magazine||2010|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law/Real Estate)||Best Lawyers||2010|
|Best Lawyers in America® (Construction Law)||Best Lawyers||2009|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyers||Law & Politics Magazine||2009|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyer||Milwaukee Magazine||2009|
|Profiled in the Construction Law Edition||The Daily Reporter and the Wisconsin Law Journal||2008|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyer||Milwaukee Magazine||2006|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyer||Law & Politics Magazine||2006|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyer||Milwaukee Magazine||2005|
|Wisconsin Super Lawyer||Law & Politics Magazine||2005|
|AV Peer Review Rated||Martindale-Hubbell||N/A|
|Shareholder||O'Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing S.C.||2009 - Present|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Construction Industry||Member||N/A|
|Sate Bar of Wisconsin||Member||N/A|
|Miwaukee Bar Association||Member||N/A|
|American State Bar||Member||N/A|
|Sisters of the Devine Savior Sponsorship Board of Directors||Board of Directors||N/A|
|Brookfield Rotary Club||Director & President||N/A|
|International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)||Member||N/A|
|Divine Savior Holy Angels High School||Director||N/A|
|Westmoor Country Club||Director||N/A|
|Elm Grove Community Foundation||Director & President||N/A|
|American Institute of Architects||Affiliate Member||N/A|
|Waukesha County Bar Association||Member||N/A|
|Make-A-Wish Foundation||Director & President||N/A|
|Marquette University Law School||Law||JD - Juris Doctor||1978|
|Hot Topics for In-House Counsel Seminar||"Working with In-House Counsel: The Unauthorized Practice of Law in Wisconsin"||2011|
|Speaking Engagements||Commercial Loan Workouts, Lendor Liability Claims, Brownfields Development||N/A|