Steve Petras practices international business transactions as a partner in the Business Practice Group. He has facilitated commercial and corporate transactions in most countries throughout the world. When representing companies seeking to expand operations in foreign jurisdictions or in business transactions with parties from different countries, Steve seeks to create effective and efficient corporate and tax structures and enforceable agreements in the multiple jurisdictions involved. Furthermore, he advises on the compliance of the business activities and the parties with the applicable U.S. and foreign laws and regulations. Steve has deep experience representing clients in the manufacturing and technology industries, where his technical background and interest enables him to better fit the transaction with the underlying technology of his clients’ businesses.
Steve has led BakerHostetler’s International Industry Team since 1998. He is actively engaged in the international community of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio having served as the President of the Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group, Chair of the International Section of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Chair of the Board of the Cleveland Council on World Affairs, and President of the Cleveland World Trade Association. He is an Adjunct Professor in the International LL.M program of Case Western Reserve University School of Law. Dedicated to increasing international business in the United States and Ohio, Steve has been appointed by the US Secretary of Commerce as a member the Northern Ohio District Export Council and by Governor Voinovich as an Ohio Commodore. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the World Affairs Councils of America.
- On behalf of The Clinton Foundation’s HIV/AIDS Initiative, negotiated agreements for supply of antiretroviral medicines to treat adults and children suffering from or living with HIV/AIDS in the numerous developing countries of that program. These agreements covered the supply of drugs by pharmaceutical companies as well as the supply of testing equipment and supplies by the biomedical equipment manufacturers. These agreements and the infrastructure created enabled millions of people to receive life-saving treatment.
- Involved in structuring working capital financing transactions for the mining and delivery of natural resources using innovative security and payments methods. This structure enabled the client to provide working capital on trade-by-trade basis at very low risk but significant revenue.
- Numerous international mergers and acquisitions spanning the transaction value range from nominal to over US$ Billion.
- Prepared major sourcing and outsourcing agreements enabling expansion of operations to India, the Philippines and other countries.
- Prepared numerous international joint venture agreements for manufacturing, software development, marketing, research and other purposes for client business expansion into China, Brazil and other countries. These projects cover various technologies, products, and services including automobile parts, appliance components, food products, machinery, environmental remediation equipment, and others.
- Established U.S. operations for foreign companies through new entities, startup operations, joint ventures, and other arrangements, including selection of available incentives.
- Performed international coverage analysis of reinsurance and insurance issues concerning large losses caused by such things as legal compliance failures and product defects.
- Prepared product representation and distribution agreements across the world for technology-based clients, including the auto, medical, life sciences, machinery, gearing, software, housing, plumbing supply, aviation, and numerous other industries.
- Alpha Kappa Epsilon International Business Honor Society (2005 to present)
- Canada-U.S. Law Institute: Executive Committee
- Ohio Commodore: Appointed by Governor Voinovich (1996)
- Cleveland Council on World Affairs: immediate past Chair of the Board
- Cleveland World Trade Association: past president
o World Trade Center of Cleveland: Advisory Board
- Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group: past president
- Northeast Ohio International Business Network: Founding Board Member
- United States Department of Commerce: Northern Ohio District Export Council member
- American Bar Association: International Law Section
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: International Law Section, past Chair
- Cleveland State University James J. Nance College of Business Administration International TRADE Program: Advisory Board
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law: Society of Benchers, Member
- MetroWest Kiwanis Charitable Foundation: Chairman
PNC Center, Suite 3200
1900 East Ninth Street
Cleveland, OH, 44114
|Award name||Grantor||Date granted|
|Society of Benchers|| Case Western Reserve University School of Law||2012|
|Member|| Alpha Kappa Epsilon International Business Honor Society||2005|
|Kiwanian of the Year||Metro West Kiwanis Club of Cleveland||2002|
|Association name||Position name||Duration|
|Canada-U.S. Law Institute||Member, Executive Committee||2014 - Present|
| Cleveland Council on World Affairs||Immediate past Chair of the Board||2012 - Present|
| Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: International Law Section||Past Chair||2007 - Present|
| Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group||Past President||2004 - Present|
| Northeast Ohio International Business Network||Founding Board Member||2004 - Present|
| United States Department of Commerce: Northern Ohio District Export Council||Member||2000 - Present|
|Ohio Commodores||Member||1996 - Present|
| American Bar Association: International Law Section||Member||1986 - Present|
| MetroWest Kiwanis Charitable Foundation||Chairman||1986 - Present|
|Case Western Reserve University School of Law||JD - Juris Doctor||1979|
|Wittenberg University||BA - Bachelor of Arts||1976|
|Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Corporate Finance Law Students||Choice of Law in International Agreements||2014|
|Northeast Ohio International Business Network, International Business Seminar||Doing International Business - Legal Pointers for Brazil||2013|
|Southern Ohio District Export Council and Xavier University's Williams College of Business, International Trade Conference||China - Legal Considerations and IP Issues||2012|
|Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, International Law Seminar||Choice of Law in International Agreements||2012|
|Southern Ohio District Export Council, Annual International Trade Conference||To China - Legal Considerations and IP Issues||2010|
|Baker & Hostetler Client Series||Legal Risks of Cloud Computing||2009|
|The Hudson Library & Historical Society, Entrepreneurship Series||Global Business Strategies||2009|
|Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and the International Trade Assistance Center, International Business Seminar||Going Global Today: Legal Strategies for Foreign Operations||2009|
|International Bar Association, Annual Meeting||Fundamentals of International Business Practice - Companies and Clients Going Abroad||2008|
|Hiram College, International Symposium on Leveraging Change: The Politics and Economics of Global Poverty and Health Care||The William J Clinton Presidential Foundation HIV/AIDS Initiative||2007|
|University of Akron, College of Business Administration, International Law||The William J Clinton Presidential Foundation HIV/AIDS Initiative||2007|
|The Second Annual America-China Women Business Leaders Conference||To and From China – Legal Issues||2006|
|Cleveland State University, Nance College of Business Administration, International Business Seminar||Overview of Legal Considerations For Doing Business in Canada||2005|
|Northeast Ohio Treasury Management Association, International Business Seminar||Overview of Legal Considerations For Doing Business in China||2004|
|Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio Chapter, International Law Seminar||Overview of Legal Considerations For Doing Business in China||2004|
|Cleveland Bar Association, 2003 Institute for Business Lawyers and Corporate Counsel||Overview of the USA PATRIOT Act and Executive Order 13224||2003|
|Industrial Supply Manufacturers Association, Spring Convention||Exporting Successfully – Legal Considerations||2003|
|International Finance||Successful Financing and Business Operations|
|The Clinton Foundation’s HIV/AIDS Initiative||Successful and Life-Saving Program|
|International Mergers and Acquisitions||Successful Business Operations|
|Organizational Structuring Transactions||Successful Business Operations|
|International Joint Ventures||Successful Business Operations|
Cash, Check, Credit Card