Heather Rogers Straub’s Answers

Heather Rogers Straub

Tacoma Criminal Defense Attorney.

Contributor Level 9
  1. What recourse do I have now that have been found not guilty of DV by reason of self defense?

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Heather Rogers Straub
    2. Patrick Owen Earl
    3. Daniel Nelson Deasy
    4. Rixon Charles Rafter III
    5. James Donald Garrett
    6. ···
    7 lawyer answers

    Many times, people feel that they were wronged by the system that unfairly accused them, and would like to take further action. There are several reasons for this: for instance, to "get even," to recoup money for damages, to prevent this from happening to anyone else. I suggest that people in this situation file a complaint with the police department. In terms of filing suit against the police, keep in mind that litigation is often difficult and expensive. I personally don't take civil cases...

    11 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Criminal case trial or no trial

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Vijay Dinakar
    2. Heather Rogers Straub
    3. Anthony Michael Solis
    4. Katherine Elizabeth Hardie
    5. Gabriela Monserrat Lopez Arcos
    5 lawyer answers

    That's a lot of questions! :-) Sometimes the deal in fact can get worse. Talk to your lawyer to see what the common procedure for that is there. Typically if my client and I are seriously considering offers, the prosecutor will leave the offer open but will revoke if it's dragging on, or if it was a particularly great offer. Be sure to tell your attorney about the status of your citizenship in detail and ask what your options are to protect your ability to stay in the US. Since you can't...

    9 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. Represent self at warrant squash hearing?

    Answered 8 months ago.

    1. Heather Rogers Straub
    2. Bruce J. Finlay
    3. Jennifer J Wirsching
    4. Valerie Semmes Bouffiou
    5. Howard Woodley Bailey
    5 lawyer answers

    First, it's QUASH, not squash - now you can impress your friends by knowing the difference! I'm attempting a joke here, but in all seriousness, you should try to educate yourself about the court process as much as you can, so it's good you're reading about this! Bring your proof of attendance at inpatient treatment with you to court. If you can afford a lawyer, that would be your best bet. However, there are often public defense attorneys assigned to handle the bench warrant calendar, and they...

    Selected as best answer

  4. I was arrested in Morgantown for a 1st offence DUI on June 9th. What do I need to do?

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Heather Rogers Straub
    2. Derek Anthony Patrin
    3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen
    4. Christopher Irvin Simser
    5. Harley O. Wagner
    5 lawyer answers

    Even if it doesn't seem like this was a very big deal, you should take this DUI seriously and get the best criminal defense lawyer you can afford. A good lawyer can tell you what your best options are, including why a deferral may not be your best bet on a first time DUI.

    7 lawyers agreed with this answer

  5. I plea guilty to assault 4 non DV and malicious mischief 3 DV, does that effect lautenberg?

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Heather Rogers Straub
    2. Jeff Staples
    2 lawyer answers

    Great question, and unfortunately, this is a great illustration of why it is extremely important for military servicemembers charged with crimes in civilian courts to work with an attorney who understands the potential consequences of criminal convictions on a military career. The Lautenberg Amendment to the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 became effective in 1996, and made it a felony for anyone convicted of a “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” to ship, transport, possess, or receive...

    5 lawyers agreed with this answer

  6. Domestic violence case trial

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Anthony Michael Solis
    2. Vijay Dinakar
    3. Heather Rogers Straub
    3 lawyer answers

    It really depends on the facts of the case; however, I set a large number of my domestic violence cases for trial and have had good successes in many of the instances. My assessment is that most juries try to do what they think is fair. A good lawyer can look at all the factors and realistically give you suggestions based on that. As far as public defenders go, i generally think they're really good. But If you can afford one, a private attorney sometimes has more time to talk to you about your...

    6 lawyers agreed with this answer

  7. Should I expect jail time for violating my terms of probation by no show for appt and subsequent court appearance in WA (DUI)?

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Anna K. Woods
    2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen
    3. Shawn B Alexander
    4. Jasen Bodie Nielsen
    5. Heather Rogers Straub
    5 lawyer answers

    I recommend you do several things as soon as possible: 1) hire a local attorney with experience working with servicemembers and with DUI cases. My firm handles criminal defense and military law. 2) schedule an alcohol/drug assessment if you have not obtained a recent one. 3) do not drive if your license is suspended. Next you will likely have to follow the court's procedure for turning yourself in for a bench warrant so that the warrant can be quashed. Your lawyer can assist with this. You can...

    4 lawyers agreed with this answer

  8. I was charged with misdemeanor petty theft, $150 in value. Any chance can be reduced to infraction. I live in CA.

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Christopher Carle Kingsley Parkhurst
    2. David Alexander Blair
    3. Pius Joseph
    4. Heather Rogers Straub
    4 lawyer answers

    It's possible that the theft chage could be reduced, diverted, or dismissed altogether, depending on the evidence in your particular case. It is important that you discuss this with an attorney right away. Even a seemingly minor crime like theft could have serious consequences on your rights and your future. Your best bet is a great lawyer with experience handling similar cases, licensed in your state. Good luck!

    5 lawyers agreed with this answer

  9. Would I be able to waive the ignition interlock after 5 year probationary period in Washington state

    Answered 8 months ago.

    1. Ryan Hogaboam
    2. Heather Rogers Straub
    3. Matthew Curran Knauss
    4. Patrick Owen Earl
    4 lawyer answers

    Just a tip- calling the DOL is a nightmare. Send them an email - they respond very quickly and it will save you a lot of time on hold. Also, you should consider hiring a qualified criminal defense attorney to help you with questions like these.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  10. I just plead guilty to a charge of felony harrassment/threat to kill. I received a sentence of 58 days and 92 work crew.

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Jessica Lorene Campbell
    2. Patrick Owen Earl
    3. Vitaliy Kertchen
    4. Heather Rogers Straub
    5. Philip G Sayles
    5 lawyer answers

    I agree with the other attorneys who have answered thus far. Have you tried contacting your attorney? If you let her know that you have some doubts about how things happened, she might be able to clear up any misunderstandings, or, if there are any issues that need additional consideration, she could possibly direct you to the next best steps. That's the first step I would take.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

Aggressive Defense. Call now for a free consultation!