Skip to main content
Erica Nicolle Knauf Santos

Erica Santos’s Answers

3 total

  • What is the average cost of an annulment versus the cost of a divorce? Is a church annulment legal? Are assets that you had sepa

    My spouse lives in Alaska, and I live in Washington. We got married in Hawaii. There could be fraud involved with his reason to marry me (military contract marriage), so that is why I am wondering if anullment is better, but I want to know the cos...

    Erica’s Answer

    You will have to get a legal annulment or divorce not just a chuch annulment. Annulment is harder to obtain than a dissoution. It would be best to speak with an attorney to determine which is the best option for your set of facts.

    All attorneys charge different amounts so it is difficult to determine the total cost as it will depend on the facts of your case, if it will be contested by your spouse and the hourly rate of the attorney.

    Many attorneys offer free consultations which may help you determine what is best for your situation.

    DISCLAIMER: By participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and I, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question as more facts likely exist. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney.

    See question 
  • If you lived together a number of years but house was bought a month before married is it community property?

    My ex and I lived together for 2 years prior to buying our first home in 2006 less than 2 months before we married he said once we married he would put me on the deed but never got around to it however now is claiming it as private property even t...

    Erica’s Answer

    In WA if you pay the mortgage on a family home from community funds then it is community property, or at the very least the marital portion of the home is community. Without knowing more facts it is difficult to say but I would argue the entire home is community property as I assume the mortgage was paid for out of community funds for the past three years as you have not said otherwise.

    Many attorneys offer a free consultation. You should consider speaking to someone before you sign any final dissolution papers. Best of luck to you.

    See question 
  • After both parties have signed separation papers and we are at65 days after filing, can he now contest what we both agreed to?

    After both parties have signed separation papers and we are at65 days after filing, can he now contest what we both agreed to? He now says he wants to change the 50 50 split of debts to 75 -25 in his favor. He claims now that he thinks the debt ...

    Erica’s Answer

    Well it depends on what type of “separation papers” were signed. If you entered into a CR2A agreement the answer is most likely no. However if you both just signed the final dissolution papers and are waiting for the 90 day mark to have them entered then yes he can object if a few things are done. If he signed the joinder to the petition but did not file the response then he will need to file the response. If he filed the response to the petition then you both agreed on the final papers and he no longer agrees then he can pull his signature from the final documents.
    You may want to consult with an attorney, many offer 30 minutes free, to get a better idea of your rights as there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding what type of separation papers, if those papers were signed by a judge, if someone signed a joinder, if there was a response to the petition. Any answer yes or no to the above results in a different outcome.
    I hope that helped some.

    See question