Melissa Aura Keiko Odama’s Answers

Melissa Aura Keiko Odama

Bellevue Criminal Defense Attorney.

Contributor Level 8
  1. Speeding and no insurance ticket, will that in any way somehow violate my probation with dwls 2nd degree/dui?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    2. Michelle Teresa Dellino
    3. Kathryn Mary Holton
    3 lawyer answers

    If you are currently on probation for a DUI and/or DWLS 2nd, you should look at your judgment and sentence to see what your probationary conditions are. It is highly likely one of the conditions of probation are to not drive without a valid license and insurance. You should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney right away to see what your options are.

    11 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Is it legal for prosecutor to threaten to amend charges to 1st degree if accused doesn't take a deal?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Lennard Anthony Nahajski
    2. Edward A Nelson
    3. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    4. Patrick Owen Earl
    5. Sean D Mckee
    5 lawyer answers

    Unfortunately, yes, the prosecutor has the discretion to amend at anytime. This is a hard negotiation tactic used frequently by the State. I have challenged such amendments before arguing vindictive prosecution, but such motions have been difficult to win. Good luck to you.

    10 lawyers agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  3. Pip is gone and at fault party has no insurance. Can i still sent medical bill to my own insurance?

    Answered 12 months ago.

    1. Arthur D Leritz
    2. C. Donald Briggs III
    3. David Ian Schoen
    4. Christian K. Lassen II
    5. Jacob Brian Smith
    6. ···
    11 lawyer answers

    If you have exhausted your own PIP and you have health insurance, you should submit your bills to your health insurance. As you continue treating for your injuries, make sure your providers know these treatments are for injuries sustained in the car crash. If you have a UIM policy with your car insurance, you can pursue a claim for damages and have your medical bills paid as well as get compensation for pain and suffering. I strongly suggest you consult an experienced personal injury attorney...

    9 lawyers agreed with this answer

  4. Are paid attorneys able to get better deals than public defenders?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Thomas Ifversen
    2. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    3. Scott Weymouth Lawrence
    4. Kris R. Jensen
    5. Donna Marie Gibson
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    No. Probably not. Just because your lawyer is a public defender does not mean that he/she is not a good attorney. If you hire a private attorney, your plea offer is not going to automatically get better. Trust your attorney.

    9 lawyers agreed with this answer

  5. Should I hire a criminal defense attorney?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Stephen Andrew Hamer
    2. Rogelio Garcia
    3. Anthony Michael Solis
    4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko
    5. Andrew Lawrence Weitz
    6. ···
    8 lawyer answers

    You should definitely get screened for a public defender. The charge you are facing is a crime of dishonesty that will, if found guilty, adversely affect your ability to obtain employment, etc.

    9 lawyers agreed with this answer

  6. Can I move out of state while on Seattle Muni Court probation for DUI?

    Answered 12 months ago.

    1. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    2. Patrick Owen Earl
    3. Mark C Blair
    4. Laura M Hartless
    4 lawyer answers

    When you plead guilty and were sentenced, do you recall whether the judge imposed a travel restriction on you? Based on what you have said, if you only have a Reckless Driving on your record, and assuming you have completed all active conditions of your probation (like your chemical dependency (CD) evaluation, CD treatment if any, etc.) you shouldn't be subject to a travel restriction and should be able to move out of state. However, you really need to look at the judgment and sentence to be...

    Selected as best answer

  7. Got a 2nd dui. i went to my first court date which was the arraignment. but i missed the second court date .

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Christopher John McCann
    2. James Brian Campbell
    3. Dan Eugene Chambers
    4. Lonnie L Mcdowell
    5. Stephen Ross Cohen
    6. ···
    11 lawyer answers

    Yes, you very likely have a outstanding bench warrant. You should hire a lawyer or get screened for a public defender so that your attorney can get your case scheduled on a bench warrant quash calendar so that you can address the judge and have your bench warrant hopefully quashed. The sooner you take care of it the better.

    8 lawyers agreed with this answer

  8. Do I have to pay the lawyer if I fire him even though I signed a contract?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Joseph Jonathan Brophy
    2. Brian J Esposito
    3. Ryan Best
    4. Matthew C Albrecht
    5. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    6. ···
    8 lawyer answers

    I agree with my colleagues in that whether you owe the attorney fees depends on the type of contract you signed. Typically, for a personal injury law suit, a case does NOT settle until you have finished treating. Until then, there is no way to determine the value of medical specials and general damages for your claim. It would not make sense to try and settle early because if you are still treating, you have no idea what the amount of medical bills will amount to. If you are still treating,...

    6 lawyers agreed with this answer

  9. I was in an car accedent i was in the back passenger seat . car was going 40 mph and hit the side t bone when will i settle

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Steven M. Gursten
    2. Ezra N. Goldman
    3. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    4. Christian K. Lassen II
    5. Lars A. Lundeen
    6. ···
    7 lawyer answers

    It sounds like you sustained some serious injuries from this car accident. I would not be quick to settle. I would wait until you have finished treating for your injuries so that the amount of past and future medical specials can be calculated in order to figure out the monetary value of your medical specials. You would want to be sure that you are adequately compensated particularly if your injuries are later deemed to be permanent. Please follow the medical advise of your providers so...

    7 lawyers agreed with this answer

  10. Reduced to negligent driving?

    Answered 11 months ago.

    1. Jacob Brian Smith
    2. Mark C Blair
    3. Melissa Aura Keiko Odama
    4. Patrick Owen Earl
    4 lawyer answers

    Have you actually been charged with a DUI meaning you went to court and were arraigned for this charge? If you have not been arraigned, it is possible you won't even be charged with a DUI. If the state/city does decide to prosecute you, based on the low BAC, lack of car accident, no prior offenses, etc., they may charge you with a negligent driving first degree. If you do receive a summons in the mail to appear in court for an arraignment, it is a good idea to either screen for a public...

    5 lawyers agreed with this answer