Skip to main content
Susan Lee Beecher

Susan Beecher’s Answers

209 total

  • My business Partner with the financial investment want out of the business. How do I respond to his unreasonable demands?

    He has put in most of the funds to start up the business. He is wanting out over personal differences/ different values. I am happy to not have him and his friend as partners any more but I am on the cusp of making money with this business and he ...

    Susan’s Answer

    The answers so far have been good, but I would like to add one more thought. If this is truly a partnership (and not an LLC or corporation), all partners have certain obligations to the partnership and could share in liability personally if contracts aren't filled.

    With the others, I would encourage you to consult with an attorney quickly and allow the attorney to read the partnership agreement from beginning to end.

    Good luck/

    See question 
  • Need a family law attorney!!!

    We have a very difficult child custody case on our hands and is only escalading with different types of herassment, and unfortunately we are not in the best position to afford an attorney at the moment, looking for help or advice! Thank you in adv...

    Susan’s Answer

    Many family law attorneys are also willing to provide unbundled services. You represent yourself but an attorney provides guidance, help with drafting pleadings, and may even appear for you at hearings. You still must pay the attorney's hourly rate, but you use fewer hours, so the cost is much cheaper.

    See question 
  • Can i get child support?

    My husband got arrested for DV and there is a pretrial but his attorney keeps asking for continuence. This is draining me financially without him living with me to support our child. Can I get child support? And its two months since he has help...

    Susan’s Answer

    To add to what the previous Washington attorney has said, yes, you can get child support either through the courts or through DCS, but you cannot get it retroactively, so you will want to either contact DCS or meet with an attorney as soon as possible.

    See question 
  • How much is a divorce or a legal separation?

    I left my husband a month and half ago, and I am ready to just make this legal, and either get a separation or divorce, but how much will this cost?

    Susan’s Answer

    As the other attorneys have noted, that depends on what happens. If you and your husband can keep things from getting needlessly hostile, you will both keep your costs down. If finances are really strained right now, you might consider unbundled services. You would represent yourself, but an attorney would provide you with guidance and help you with pleadings, perhaps even appear at hearings for you. It is less expensive than full representation, because you use less of the attorney's time, though it is, of course, not for everyone.

    I normally don't publish my rates on line (I'll be happy to explain why off line), but I also do not charge to discuss them by phone.

    See question 
  • I reported 2 managers to HR for recording a conversation between the 3 of us w/out my knowledge. Now treated unfairly, poorly

    I was told after a meeting in which I was falsely accused of insubordination (this as a result of reporting other illegal activity by same mgr) that he had been recording the conversation. When I said this was illegal, the other mgr said, "No, we ...

    Susan’s Answer

    You might have a whistle blower claim. Also, under these circumstances, you might be entitled to unemployment compensation if you decide to leave this job. I would urge you to review the details with an employment law attorney before proceeding further. As the saying goes, the devil is always in the details.

    See question 
  • My legal responsibilities for my visiting sibling

    I am a permanent resident of the US. My brother lives in another country. He wants to visit me and he asked me to send him a letter of invitation to be able to apply at a US embassy in Egypt asking for a visa. I have not seen my brother for 15 y...

    Susan’s Answer

    Try reposting this question under "Immigration Law" and you are likely to get more response. Though this involves family, it is not really an area that family law attorneys deal with much unless they also do immigration law.

    Good luck.

    See question 
  • How do I fire the co-founder of my startup?

    We are a C-Corp and do NOT have a legal agreement regarding our partnership, but I own 80% of the company and this individual owns only 20%. This person is on a 1-year cliff and is not vested on any stock currently (we do have a founder's stock ag...

    Susan’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    This person is in an ambiguous position in the company. If you have not been paying him, he is presumably an owner (shareholder, since you are a corporation.) There are really two separate issues here. One is employment at the company (i.e., can you stop him from working there?) and the other is ownership interest (once he leaves, will he still own a share of your company?) The two questions must be addressed separately

    You are getting answers to this question that are "all over the map" because these issues are intertwined in your case, and because, with no formal shareholder's agreement, the nature of your agreement with this other person will depend on what was agreed to at an informal level, what evidence there is of this informal agreement, and how each party as acted on that.

    You need to speak with an attorney in depth about what sort of agreements have been made, what documents (if any) have been signed, and what each party has contributed to the business, before anyone can give you an answer that will be helpful.

    And in my opinion, just dissolving the corporation will raise more problems than it will solve, so I agree with you there.

    See question 
  • Name was changed as a teen by my father, I never recognized the name change, but now I would like to obtain a passport

    My father changed my last name when I was 16 against my wishes (I lived in NJ at the time). Now I live in Washington State and I am 25 years old. I never recognized the name change and continued to use all of my original documents without any pr...

    Susan’s Answer

    You no longer need your father's permission to change your name. I would recommend you see an attorney to review the various ramifications of changing your name on everything to the one you have been using and then go ahead and do it. It should not be an expensive or compicated process and then all of your paperwork will be in agreement.

    See question 
  • What are my rights when I do not get paid on a schedule payday?

    When I did not get paid Friday, I called the Payroll dept for the company I work for. I also called ADP who is involved with making sure we get paid, and I called my bank. I've spoken with many people and supervisors and no one can locate my pay...

    Susan’s Answer

    You mentioned the various people you called, but you did not mention what they said. Is your check lost, or did one not get cut? Did other people get paid?

    If your check is lost, or you simply did not get included in the payroll somehow, your employer ought to write you a check for the correct amount and then have you endorse over the paycheck when it is found. Mistakes happen, but your employer ought to move swiftly to correct it immediately. If your employer does so very soon, I would urge you (especially in this job market) to simply "call it good".

    However, if your employer refuses to take corrective action (you should not have to go hunting for your paycheck), or, if your co-workers are also not getting paid, your employer may be willfully withholding your pay. If this is so, the employer could be liable for double damages and your attorney's fees.

    If your co-workers are also not getting paid, you may want to consider the possibility that your employer may be in financial trouble and it may be time to start looking.

    Also, if it becomes clear that this is not the result of a clerical error, and you are not going to see your pay any time soon, you also should qualify for unemployment. Your employer may tell Employment Security that they have a job for you, but doing work for no pay does not qualify as employment. You will have to leave the position and start looking, but even if the employer never actually lays you off, failing to pay you counts as a layoff.

    See question 
  • Can Company Security Supervisor Terminate store employees without proper cause?Or it's The Store managers duty to do so.

    I was given a verbal warning from the store security supervisor about an incident on a shoplifter last week that i took care of. Security supervisor said that next that happens that i will be terminated. I thought i was protecting the store asset...

    Susan’s Answer

    Yes, talk to the next higher authority. If you acted properly and you feel that discrimination is going on, management should be made aware of it and have opportunity to step in and protect you.

    On the other hand, it may be that you innocently did something that really was against store policy. (Your post is thin on details, but there may be policies in place concerning shoplifters meant to protect customers, personnel, or both.) A higher authority who is somewhat removed from the situation may be able to explain to you what the problem was without adding threats and accusations against you, and may also be able to instruct the manager and the supervisor to view the situation more calmly and realize that what you did (if in error) was done innocently and with the best intentions.

    See question