The best option is to file for a court hearing to address the issues of your children, your ex's criminal record and the changing of the paperwork. Even though you live in different towns the Judge can and does make decisions changing custody and visitation schedules. Filing for a court hearing on all these issues will help you with the custody of your children and protect them from your ex who continues to have run ins with the law.