William Donald Chapman’s Answers

William Donald Chapman

Irvine Litigation Lawyer.

Contributor Level 5
  1. Do Plaintiff's discovery responses have to be sent to defendants other than the propounding defendant?

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Robert Harlan Stempler
    2. Joshua David Wallace
    3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen
    4. William Donald Chapman
    4 lawyer answers

    Although the general rule is correctly stated in the prior answers, there is an exception, as follows: On motion, with or without notice, the court may relieve the party from this requirement on its determination that service on all other parties would be unduly expensive or burdensome. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 2030.080(b).

  2. What can I do to fight off vacating a default judgment that the court awarded

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Pamela Koslyn
    2. William Donald Chapman
    2 lawyer answers

    As stated by the other author, motions to set aside defaults are routinely granted. However, there are deadlines within which to file such motions. For example, "Application for this relief shall be accompanied by a copy of the answer or other pleading proposed to be filed therein, otherwise the application shall not be granted, and shall be made within a reasonable time, in no case exceeding six months, after the judgment, dismissal, order, or proceeding was taken. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 473(2)...

  3. Do 3rd party subpoenas duces tecum, not for personal/consumer records, have to be served on opposing counsel?

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Christine C McCall
    2. William Donald Chapman
    2 lawyer answers

    As to service on opposing counsel: CCP§ 2025.220. (a) A party desiring to take the oral deposition of any person shall give notice in writing. *** As to personal service: § 2020.220. Service of documents; timing; persons authorized to serve; scope of subpoena authority *** (b) Any person may serve the subpoena by personal delivery of a copy of it as follows: *** (c) Personal service of any deposition subpoena is effective to require all of the following of any deponent who is a...