Skip to main content
Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Chen’s Answers

24,065 total

  • Question about a judicial partition

    Title to a property in an incorporated part of LA County is held by 6 people each with and equivalent share of ownership i.e. each person owns 1/6th of the property. Some of the owners want to sell while others do not. I am aware that with a 50%...

    Frank’s Answer

    Any one of the 6 co-owners can bring an action for partition and sale. The law does not require the plaintiff in a partition action to own 50%. A mere 1% owner can bring a partition action to force a sale. Note that a partition action does not necessarily mean the property needs to be sold to a third party. Any one of the co-owners could end up buying out one or more (or all of) the co-owner(s) and become the sole owner, or alternatively, the court could reallocate the ownership percentages of each co-owner.

    See question 
  • What will be the location of court for the law suite file? will it be the location of incident or company registration?

    I am wondering about the location of lawsuit before i file the one. can we file to convenient location with in state adjudication.

    Frank’s Answer

    The proper court will depend upon the nature of your lawsuit. For example, if you are suing for breach of contract, you can sue in the county where the company is located, or where the contract was to be performed, or where the contract was signed. If you are suing for personal injuries, you will probably need to sue where the incident occurred. You can review the following link for more information:

    See question 
  • Are these Judicial forms acceptable and sufficient for pleadings in CA state court?

    Here is the link

    Frank’s Answer

    Yes, you can use Judicial Council forms for a general breach of contract claim. These forms are acceptable and sufficient for typical claims. However, if you desire to add additional causes of action such as Breach of Implied Covenant and Good Faith and Fair Dealing, you are better off specially drafting the entire complaint.

    See question 
  • Admissions Question

    If a motion to compel responses was brought, the admissions received a response (late), the court ordered that any admissions that were answered with only an objection are deemed admitted, is there any case law that permits this court order to be ...

    Frank’s Answer

    You are in a very tough position if the court already ruled against you on this discovery motion. However, you can see the discussion in the following cases: St. Mary v. Superior Court (2014) 223 Cal. App. 4th 762; New Albertsons, Inc. v. Superior Court (2008) 168 Cal. App. 4th 1403. See California Code of Civil Procedure section 2033.300, which provides:

    "(a) A party may withdraw or amend an admission made in
    response to a request for admission only on leave of court granted
    after notice to all parties.
    (b) The court may permit withdrawal or amendment of an admission
    only if it determines that the admission was the result of mistake,
    inadvertence, or excusable neglect, and that the party who obtained
    the admission will not be substantially prejudiced in maintaining
    that party's action or defense on the merits.
    (c) The court may impose conditions on the granting of the motion
    that are just, including, but not limited to, the following:
    (1) An order that the party who obtained the admission be
    permitted to pursue additional discovery related to the matter
    involved in the withdrawn or amended admission.
    (2) An order that the costs of any additional discovery be borne
    in whole or in part by the party withdrawing or amending the

    See question 
  • Do I have to reissue notices of appear to plaintiff if the initial trial date was vacated? Or amend the original one and letter?

    Also, I read you don't have to pay witness fees up to a 150 miles is this correct? Thanks.

    Frank’s Answer

    Was the trial date vacated or continued? If the trial was continued, you can serve an amended notice to appear. If the trial date was vacated, you will need to serve a new notice to appear at trial. Witness fees are not required to be paid to the parties in the case, only to third party witnesses (which you will have to subpoena, not just serve a notice to appear).

    See question 
  • I was the plaintiff in a Small Claim that was dismissed without prejudice last week

    I learned about it because my roommate went to get my mail in my mail box. I failed to appear on trial after I requested postponement due to surgery and could not show up due to Medical reasons and I am still at bed rest. What can I do now? Is the...

    Frank’s Answer

    File a Form SC-135 immediately. Here is the form:

    See question 
  • After someone filed for workers compensation, do I need to get workers comp for everyone else now?

    This is confusing. if the state or whoever handles the claims says they are eligible for this, which I will fight because I don't think theyre employee, does it mean I have to get it for other contractors who do that same job? Or should I wait f...

    Frank’s Answer

    In California, so long as you employ a single employee, you are required by law to have workers compensation insurance, regardless of whether you think you need it or not.

    See question 
  • If a lawsuit is filed but the statute of limitations has run out, will there still be a record somewhere of that suit?

    question stands as is.

    Frank’s Answer

    Yes, when a complaint initiating a lawsuit is filed, the lawsuit becomes a matter of public record, even if the complaint is never served and/or the case is ultimately dismissed. Under California law, unless confidentiality is required, court records are presumed to be open to the public. (CRC 2.550(c).) There are some limited exceptions to this general rule, such as under Code of Civil Procedure section 1161.2, wherein unlawful detainer case information is not available to the public for the first 60 days after filing. Absent a court order that the file be sealed, court files are public records.

    See question 
  • Does my subtenant have a right to see my master lease?

    I am going to sublease my office. The prospective subtenant wants to see my master lease, but I would prefer not to show it. Am I under any obligation to do so?

    Frank’s Answer

    Yes. Since a subtenant's rights are no greater than the tenant's rights, the subtenant is entitled to see the master lease agreement. Moreover, in most instances, any subtenancy must be approved by the master landlord.

    See question 
  • Demurrer and Form Interrogatory 15.1

    How do I respond to 15.1 if I have a demurrer set for hearing in a few months? I don't even really know what my affirmative defenses are because the complaint is relatively non-specific and fails to state a cause of action. (Yes, its "one of those.")

    Frank’s Answer

    In response to Form Interrogatory No. 15.1, you would object on the grounds that the interrogatory is premature because the Responding Party has not yet filed an Answer to Complaint, and therefore has not made any denials of material allegations nor raised any affirmative defenses.

    See question