Christopher D Carr’s Answers

Christopher D Carr

Las Vegas Family Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 6
  1. I live in NV. Hoping to do an uncontested divorce, how much can I expect for alimony to maintain level of living?

    Answered almost 5 years ago.

    1. Christopher D Carr
    1 lawyer answer

    While child support uses a set formula that makes calculation very straight-forward, alimony is an entirely different story. The same parties could present the same facts to each family court judge and get an entirely different decision in each one. But the upside is, since there is no rigid statutory amount to put in place it can be anything that you and he agree on. Remember, the ONLY way to have an "uncontested divorce" is to be in complete agreement on ALL of the issues. If you're...

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  2. What will happen if I have not finished my domestic violence classes?

    Answered almost 5 years ago.

    1. Greta Muirhead
    2. Christopher D Carr
    3. Carlos Gonzalez
    3 lawyer answers

    The worst thing you can do is nothing. The judges in criminal court are generally willing to give you additional time to comply with the sentence. If you had not done any community service and not even begun the DV classes you would likely have problems. Since you've done the community service and apparently begun the DV classes, I wouldn't imagine you'd have any difficulty getting additional time to complete the sentence. Just bring proof of what you have done to show you are serious about...

  3. My fiancees stepmom is threatening to take me to court to see my daughter...can she do that?

    Answered almost 5 years ago.

    1. Marshal Shawn Willick
    2. Christopher D Carr
    2 lawyer answers

    Yes. It doesn't even matter if they are the children's grandparents. If they are the grandparents, they can petition the court for "grandparents' rights." If they are not the grandparents--if fact, even if they are not related to the child--they can still seek visitation. You question does not state that your fiance is the mother of the children, but I will assume so in addressing the first issue: grandparents' visitation. NRS 125C.050 provides that a grandparent can petition the court...