Maureen J O'Brien’s Answers

Maureen J O'Brien

Denver Criminal Defense Attorney.

Contributor Level 2
  1. Hi i got caught in Lakewood Co with 2nd DEGREE BURGLARY and i'm wondering what will happen to me.

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Christopher Daniel Leroi
    2. Nicholas Lubchenco
    3. Maureen J O'Brien
    4. Scott J. Corwin
    5. Shaun C Kaufman
    5 lawyer answers

    The police are only required to read you your Miranda rights if they question you while you are in custody. Whether or not someone is actually "in custody" is generally the subject of a motions hearing, but that is only if you actually did say something to the police. You definitely need a good attorney who is familiar with Jefferson County cases to help you with this type of charge.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. I need a lawyer, to defend my self against a felony of a theft in my records, first time offend

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Brandon Uriah Luna
    2. Mark S. Solomon
    3. Maureen J O'Brien
    4. Judy A. Goldstein
    4 lawyer answers

    We would be happy to help you with this issue. Please email me your phone number so I can call to discuss it.

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. What are the consequences for violating probation twice in Colorado?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Christopher Daniel Leroi
    2. Stephen Clark Harkess
    3. Daniel Nelson Deasy
    4. Maureen J O'Brien
    4 lawyer answers

    It is not clear from your question why he was arrested this time by the probation officer, which is an important piece of information to be able to assist you. Regardless, a second violation can certainly result in jail time, but a good attorney may be able to prevent that. We would be happy to talk to you about the case. Feel free to leave me a message at 303-238-0648 over the weekend, and I will promptly return the call.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  4. I was booked for possession. I was booked and released and haven't heard back from the police. Will I be arrested again?

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Andrew John Contiguglia
    2. Justin Steele Ross
    3. Maureen J O'Brien
    4. Andrew A. Achey
    4 lawyer answers

    Sometimes the drug task force waits to book people, sometimes for months. Do you have the name of the detective who arrested you? If so, I would be happy to call the cop to make inquiries on your behalf. Often but not always, I have had success with getting the cop to let me know when a decision has been made on charges so that the client can turn themselves in rather than be arrested at home or work. Sometimes I can even get them to agree on a summons instead of a warrant, which means you...

  5. Do I need a lawyer for violating my probation? Probation is filing complaint with courts. Should I seek representation?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Ann Toney
    2. Christopher Daniel Leroi
    3. Nicholas Lubchenco
    4. Maureen J O'Brien
    4 lawyer answers

    Yes, you do need a lawyer to help you with this. There are judges who would impose a jail sentence, and a lawyer can help you avoid that.

  6. In Denver I have a dismissed class six felony and a dismissed class five felony through deferment; I am looking to seal.

    Answered almost 3 years ago.

    1. Harold Rodney Dubinski
    2. Maureen J O'Brien
    2 lawyer answers

    I have never seen the fee be waived. You have to look through the police reports and the court records to determine which agencies may have your records. Be aware all agencies have to be notified by certified mail, so this is an additional expense. We do seal records for people, and provide some additional services when we are retained to do that.