Skip to main content
Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein’s Answers

3,058 total

  • Will sharing rent with a guy friend of mine with my kids affect me legally when being separated two years but not yet divorced?

    We have the kids together and two years ago I took the kids and moved to my moms house. He was not paying the bills and we were without water and electricity and we kept getting evicted. I had suspicions but found out later he was using the family...

    Fran’s Answer

    I would encourage you to divorce him. It sounds like your money is limited. There are several groups around Houston that do pro bono )free) legal services - Houston Volunteer Lawyers, South Texas College of Law and Lone Star Legal to name a few.

    The divorce forms are on line for free too -

    You are asking many complex legal questions that cannot adequately be fully addressed on this free site. It sounds like your children are safe. Their safety is the most important thing. Texas law focuses on the "best interests" of the children. Having them go to school, be fed, clothed, sheltered and safe are all important. Keeping them away from people on drugs or with criminal history is probably important.

    I wish you the best.

    See question 
  • Can my son's mom have someone follow me and my son and video us when it is my time with him

    I have him for diner every Friday and a I am pretty sure someone is watching/videoing us.

    Fran’s Answer

    I recommend waving and both of you making silly faces. Or, make a huge sign with something humorous on it -- "I'm on candid camera". Or, ask other people in the restaurant to wave at the person too.

    They must not be very good if you can see them videotaping you!
    Most cameras are very tiny these days.

    Of course, you can videotape them videotaping you! That usually really upsets them!

    See question 
  • Do i need to get an annulment or can i get married?

    I was married in Texas.I moved to oklahoma and married wife in Texas filed for marriage in oklahoma only lasted one year then i moved bk to my oklahoma marriage legal or am i free to get married in Texas again.and do i...

    Fran’s Answer

    I believe that when your first marriage ended then the second marriage became valid. So you need a divorce before you marry again.

    See question 
  • Can anyone guide me in the right direction with my divorce?

    I am in an abusive marriage. We have 2 children. I left once before but he threatened to kill himself when the kids were visiting. He has never hurt the children directly and hasn't hit me since I've been back but the emotional and verbal abuse is...

    Fran’s Answer

    You might call AVDA that stands for a tip victims of domestic abuse. They provide free services for Harris County residents. Good luck.

    See question 
  • In Texas do we have to provide home address, personal telephone number and employer information in a divorce decree?

    Information in divorce decree

    Fran’s Answer

    It normally goes on the BVS form and other required forms and in the decree.

    See question 
  • Fiancé gets paid 15/hr and is going to get charged 700 a month for child support for one daughter. is that too much?

    only one daughter

    Fran’s Answer

    An attorney would need to see his W-2 and 3 recent paystubs to determine his child support.

    For one child it's 20% of his net resources as defined by Texas.

    If he earns only $15 an hour x 40 = $600/week or $31,200 per year.

    Then it looks like his child support should be around $435 per month.

    Normally he'd also pay 50% of all uninsured medical expenses for the child plus the monthly premium to cover the child on health insurance. If the kid's on Medicaid then he might be looking at reimbursing the taxpayers of Texas anywhere from $50-$100 per month for one kid.

    Hire an attorney!

    See question 
  • What can I do if mediator presented legal advise to my spouse?

    My spouse and I went to second round mediation because we verbally and over email agreed to a settlement. I understand that email is not binding or enforceable. Spouse refused to settle, at the same terms that we agreed to prior in person and ov...

    Fran’s Answer

    I agree with the other attorneys - hire a lawyer and "move on".

    Mediation is confidential. And it sounds like if the mediator only made a statement - but did not give legal advice - then you are out of luck.

    As you have learned, agreements via email and verbal are easily revokable.

    The mediator can only facilitate your agreements. The mediator cannot force either of you to sign the Mediated Settlement Agreement.

    It sounds like you tried mediation twice. If the other party won't sign the MSA then it's time to try something else.

    See question 
  • Common law marriage law

    If 2 people live together just as roommates and have no boyfriend and girlfriend relationship and date other people should a common law marriage affect them after so much time has passed living as roommates

    Fran’s Answer

    You can live with someone for years and never have a common law marriage. It does not sound like they agreed to be married and never "held themselves out" to the public as married.

    My sister lived with her actual boy friend for over 7 years and she never had a common law marriage.

    See question 
  • Need to know what rights I have in a custody questions with my teenage son?

    My ex wife lives in Michigan and I live in Texas. My boys came to live with me when they were 5 and 3. They are now 17 and 15. My ex has seen them every summer. In 2007 she tried to take them back (trying to enforce the Alabama divorce decree). I ...

    Fran’s Answer

    No attorney can address her rights without looking at your current court order.

    To change custody the burden is on the person wanting the change to show that it's in the best interests of the child to do so.

    I'd be looking for an attorney now and not wait.

    She can ask that the judge interview the child in chambers (after age 12) but the child's opinion is not binding on the judge.

    I assume if she files that you would want an attorney to represent the child's best interests. These are paid by the parties. Not cheap. You will need lots of evidenced to prove she's "Mentally ill".

    I hope this info is helpful.

    See question 
  • I would like to file for joint custody for my daughter In Houston, TX? Any suggestions.

    I am a married father who is not able to afford an attorney and do not qualify for a low income attorney assistance. I am current on my child support but have many issues with visitation with her mother.

    Fran’s Answer

    When you went on child support you should have hired an attorney. Now you will definately need one to revise the current court order. If you read your order you might already be a joint managing conservator. But it sounds like the court ordered visits are not working. Perhaps contempt against Mom is in order. I*t's impossible to address your issues without looking at the current court order. Please borrow some money and hire an attorney NOW.

    See question