B. C. Cornish’s Answers

B. C. Cornish

Fort Worth Family Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 6
  1. My husband is a compulsive gambler and is taking household money to gamble. Is there anything I can do legally?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    2. Matthew L. Harris Esq.
    3. Leslie Starr Barrows
    4. Dorothea Elaine Laster
    5. Sherrie Haussner Travers
    6. ···
    7 lawyer answers

    If you file for divorce, the judge can order him to move. The court can't order him to leave the house until he has notice of the hearing, so you will need to ask for temporary orders. The rulings made (or the agreements reached by the parties) at the temporary hearing establish the rules under which the parties must live until the final divorce decree is entered. It's a complex process and there are exceptions to these general rules. You should schedule a consultation with a Tarrant County...

    7 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. HELP! Where can I find an family law attorney that will help me either pro-bono or without having to put down a large retainer?!

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    2. Maria Tsao Tu
    3. JaPaula C Kemp
    4. Marshall Alan Thompson
    4 lawyer answers

    Legal Aid of North Texas provides free legal assistance in family and civil cases for those who qualify financially. Their funding is quite limited, so they have other criteria but it sounds like the facts of your case would be a fit if you qualify financially. If you don't qualify, contact the Tarrant County Bar Association referral service.

    6 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. Ok so I hired a attorney a year ago and have only been to court once . That was to make a rule 11 agreement. What shoulld I do?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    2. Raymond Ellis Daniel
    3. Jared Seth Robinson
    4. Nathaniel Munier
    5. Bryan L. Walter
    5 lawyer answers

    Call your attorney's office and schedule a 15 minute appointment, preferably an in- person appointment. At that time, have your list of questions ready. Ask the lawyer what the time frame is for finalizing the case. Ask if he/she has a strategy for getting it to final. Ask what you can do to help. Ask him/her if the Rule 11 needs to be turned into a court order. I'd probably start the meeting by showing your attorney a recent photo of you and your child having fun. Hope that works. If you don'...

    5 lawyers agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  4. If a father hasn't seen his child or payed CS in 7 yrs. can his parental rights be terminated?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Dorothea Elaine Laster
    2. B. C. Cornish
    3. Maria Sara Lowry
    3 lawyer answers

    The short answer is yes, assuming that the judge also finds that termination is in the best interest of the child. Termination of parental rights is a very serious action. The law mandates that the father be notified. If his whereabouts are unknown the court will appoint an attorney to exhaust all available resources to find the father so he can be notified. Also, as with any termination, the judge must find that it's in the child's best interest. Normally, you'll have an easier time meeting...

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  5. Do I need to file any proof with the courts as to why I don't want visitation set up with my daughter's biological father?

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    2. J. Shannon Cavers
    3. Jerry Cole Brooks
    4. Jacqueline R. Kriebel
    4 lawyer answers

    I assume you are in the AG court. Ideally, you should have an attorney representing you. You should bring a certified copy of the criminal judgment to court with you. You can ask that the court appoint a lawyer for your daughter or, depending upon what county you're in, that the court order a limited social study of the father and his home. If you have any proof to controversy the father's claim that you move around and hide your daughter, you should take that evidence to court, too.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  6. Does common law do anything for me? And also is it better to go through court for child support?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    2. Mark Anthony Cohan
    3. Theresa Cay Langford
    4. Karen M. Billingham
    4 lawyer answers

    I agree with the other attorney who advised that you be more careful in public forums and I agree that you need to sit down for a consultation with an attorney. The existence/non-existence of a common law marriage is a fact driven inquiry, but the way income taxes were filed may be determinative. You should take evidence of that with you when you meet with the attorney. Also you should know that there is a statute of limitations regarding the establishment of a common law marriage, so you...

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  7. Should ex still pay for additional healthcare expenses not covered by insurance?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Brian Michael Andrade
    2. B. C. Cornish
    3. J. Richard Kulerski
    4. Dean George Tsourakis
    4 lawyer answers

    Re-read your Decree about health care expenses. Sometimes the issue is specifically addressed with language that says you can pay your portion by paying the health care provider directly. If this language is in your decree, I'd start by calling it to his attention, in writing, before going to the expense of hiring an attorney.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  8. I need help with a custody agreement with the mother of my daughter.

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Raymond Ellis Daniel
    2. Matthew John Hill
    3. Brian Michael Andrade
    4. B. C. Cornish
    4 lawyer answers

    Mr. Daniel is correct. The judge must approve the agreement for it to be binding. Unless the agreement is drafted properly, the judge won't sign it. To save money, read the Texas Standard Possession provisions and carefully mark it up indicating your agreements. Texas requires specificity in possession schedules and child support orders. Make sure you and the other parent agree on the specific details. If you can demonstrate to the attorney that you both agree to even the details, your fees...

  9. Im a non custodial parent and i live in washington state and my son's mom as custodial parent fail drug test.cps now have my son

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    1 lawyer answer

    This is complicated and you do not know all of the facts that you need to know. I am guessing that CPS has your child under some sort of "safety plan" with the mother wherein she agreed that they could put him in foster care (or with another relative) while she tried to get clean. If this is true, there is no pending court action and there may not be one in the foreseeable future. If that is the case, you could file a motion to modify custody to you. Then, you'd need to be able to prove to...

  10. Is this harassment and how can I take action to fix without losing job?

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. B. C. Cornish
    1 lawyer answer

    Texas is an "at will" employment state. That means that employers can fire you for any reason or for no reason as long as it isn't an illegal reason, like discrimination based on age, race, sex, etc. There are also some limits on retaliation based on whistleblowing and good faith complaints about discrimination. There are even fewer limits regarding the kind of abuse you describe. Simply, it is not against the law in Texas. The only possible cause of action might be intentional...