Kristie Leigh Bowerman’s Answers

Kristie Leigh Bowerman

New Orleans Immigration Attorney.

Contributor Level 3
  1. On form I-693 (medical), can a 16yo sign that or the parent should? The MD said it should be the parent since he is minor.

    Answered 3 months ago.

    1. Kristie Leigh Bowerman
    2. Nicole Elizabeth Boros
    3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman
    4. Theodore John Murphy
    4 lawyer answers

    A parent or guardian should not sign Form I-693 if the person being examined is 14 or older. As per the instructions to Form I-693 (page 2, General Instructions, 8. Applicant's Certification), "if the applicant is under 14 years of age, a parent or guardian may sign Form I-693. If the applicant is 14 years of age or older, her or she must sign Form I-693." I would recommend thoroughly reading the instructions to the form and, if necessary, taking them to the medical examination appointment...

    Selected as best answer

  2. Should an F-1 student have police local 'bans' lifted before leaving the US? (Was banned to a place but did NOT get arrested.)

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Alexander Joseph Segal
    2. Kristie Leigh Bowerman
    3. Giacomo Jacques Behar
    3 lawyer answers

    I agree with my colleagues. If the only police involved were campus police, then it would appear that the university handled this privately and it is unlikely to be an issue for you in regards to your immigration matters. If you are unsure if other police were involved, you could always request a police clearance letter or records check from your local police station and see if anything shows up.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  3. I have a couple of financial convictions, nonviolent, from years ago. Can I still sponsor my wife through I130, etc?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Alena Shautsova
    2. Helen Ramirez
    3. Kristie Leigh Bowerman
    4. John K Lassen
    4 lawyer answers

    There are come convictions that will keep a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident from filing any family-based immigration petition, such as "specified offenses against a minor" under the Adam Walsh Act. Some other violent crimes, including domestic violence, can also cause problems. Nonviolent, financial convictions do not generally pose a problem. However, in any case where a criminal record is involved, I recommend seeking experienced immigration counsel.

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  4. "At this time USCIS cannot provide you with information for your case"

    Answered 6 days ago.

    1. Andrew John Bartlett
    2. Aggie Rachel Hoffman
    3. Meenu Sharma
    4. Kristie Leigh Bowerman
    4 lawyer answers

    I agree with my colleagues. This will sometimes happen when there is a glitch in USCIS' system, or when they have not updated the online case status system. Most of the time this will be resolved within a few days of them receipting the petition, but sometimes it is not. You should call the USCIS National Customer Service Center (800-375-5283), let them know of the problem, and check to make sure that they have your contact information correct so that you don't miss anything.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  5. What does my mother-n-law need to do to come here from Mexico to visit?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Robert Louis Brown
    2. Alexus Paul Sham
    3. Kristie Leigh Bowerman
    3 lawyer answers

    She will need to obtain a B-2 visa from a U.S. consulate in Mexico. To do so, she will have to meet specific requirements and will need to show that she does not intend to remain in the U.S. permanently, among other things. Generally, a B-2 visa is issued as a multiple entry visa valid for up to 10 years. However, upon entering the U.S. she will be admitted for a stay of 180 days or less. The time it takes to get a B-2 visa varies by consulate. If you are unsure as to how to navigate this...

  6. Immigration: I-131 filing with I-130/I-485: is 30 days 'expected length of trip' reasonable?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Boris Alexander Palant
    2. Tripti Sharad Sharma
    3. Alexus Paul Sham
    4. Emily Reber-Mariniello
    5. Kristie Leigh Bowerman
    5 lawyer answers

    Yes, 30 days is a reasonable amount of time. However, if you have any uncertainties at all regarding Advance Parole, I recommend that you consult an experienced immigration attorney to ensure eligibility, effect on any current nonimmigrant status you may have, etc. USCIS will not review these issues for you and advise you.

  7. What do the congressman and the senator do to help with my immigration case ?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Elizabeth Madalena Ricci
    2. Asma Warsi
    3. Alexander Joseph Segal
    4. Sassoun Armen Nalbandian
    5. Wasleed Ghuneim
    6. ···
    7 lawyer answers

    It really depends on your Senator or Congressman and what is happening with your case. I have helped facilitate client communication with both Senators and Congressmen on various types of cases after the client has contacted one or the other; some of them are very helpful and have been able to get a case moving when things had fallen through the cracks and some of them are not very helpful at all. Whether you should choose a Senator or a Congressman also varies from state to state in my...