Skip to main content
G. Timothy Leighton

G. Leighton’s Answers

2 total

  • My mom died early this year, my only brother said he couldn't find the will at the time of her death. 8 months have pasted.

    He told me everything was gone, My parents home he let go back to the back,he has since moved out of the home has left no address to contact.Does not answer calls what can i do to find out if all is true. He has had power of attorney since my dad ...

    G.’s Answer

    The answers are going to depend on what state your mother claimed for her residence when she died. States have laws called "intestacy" which set up default rules for who inherits when there is no will to be found. Power of attorney documents are probably useless since they actually terminate when the person who signed them dies. You should consult a lawyer who is licensed in the state where your mother resided at the time she died. That lawyer can help you understand your rights under that state's laws. You should also ask that lawyer whether your brother as a paralegal has any formal duties and responsibilities that go with being a paralegal. If he is certified, and has abused his access to information or responsibilities, he might have put his certification at risk. A good lawyer experienced in probate matters would know how to contact life insurers to find out about life insurance policies even if a family member asserts no policies are out there.

    See question 
  • Illegal business

    Can I report a illegal business. To police

    G.’s Answer

    Other lawyers have given some fine answers. One additional point to consider: if your own lawyer knows your business is doing something against the law, that lawyer sometimes has a duty to report to authorities. Basically that duty would arise if the lawyer knows, or has good reason to know, of actual or likely bodily harm. Otherwise, the lawyer generally has to preserve the confidentiality of the client.

    See question