Skip to main content
Brett Andrew Appelman

Brett Appelman’s Answers

2 total

  • How do you get the court to provide you with a lawyer?

    i got arrested for shoplifting a 50$ necklace. It was not intentional. This is the first time anything like this has happened. i am not a criminal and have never been arrested before. I do not have the money to hire a lawyer, but heard that I can ...

    Brett’s Answer

    In most jurisdictions you will have the option of getting a public defender if you cannot afford a lawyer on your own.

    Normally you would show up in court on your assigned court date and explain to the judge that you want a lawyer to be appointed to you. The judge might ask you some questions about your finances or have you fill out a financial disclosure form, to be sure that you meet he required level of financial hardship to qualify for a public defender.

    Remember though that public defenders are NOT free. It is highly likely that at the end of your case the judge wil order you to pay a small amount for the use of the public defender's services.

    See question 
  • Statutory rape

    I know a 16 year old girl who is currently pregnant by a 27 year old man. When the girl turns 17, will the man still be able to be prosecuted for statutory rape?

    Brett’s Answer

    In Illinois the only thing that will matter is the age the girl was when the event occured. If she was inpregnated while she was still 16, then the man would be liable for sex with a minor.

    See question