Skip to main content
Maury Devereau Beaulier

Maury Beaulier’s Answers

5,149 total

  • Is that legal within the age of consent laws in here in mn?

    I work at the college in Brainerd Minnesota, and there are a pair of students that are dating. One of them is 21 and the other is 17

    Maury’s Answer

    Generally speaking, the age of consent is 16. However, charges may apply if somebody is 36 months or older and in a position of authority such as a coach, teacher, A priest, a doctor, or something in that regard

    See question 
  • Even though I technically admitted to the crime, can arguing this be sufficient for the judge to throw the case out?

    I got pulled over for not having my headlights on and the officer smelled marijuana so I admitted to having a small amount leading to a small possession charge. He wrote me a ticket and let me go, but he did not write me a ticket for the initial r...

    Maury’s Answer

    The officer does not have to charge you based on the reason you were stopped. That is not a defense to the crime. Other defenses may apply and you should speak with an attorney

    See question 
  • What are my options of giving up visitation/rights/custody without paying so much that I lose my house and all that I worked for

    I got joint custody of my son when he was 3 because i was unaware the he existed until then. Mom wanted support. He doesn't fit in like I thought he would. I can't feel love for him and it's obviously hindering him. All of my immediate family is s...

    Maury’s Answer

    First, what a sad set of circumstances where you acknowledge less love for a child. If that is the case, then the child truly does belong in a different custodial /parental environment. Parenting isn't all unicorns and rainbows. It does take work.

    Second, custody and parenting time can be changed at any time based on agreements of the parties. If you have an agreement, it can be drafted into a stipulation and Order and submitted to the Judge for signing.

    Third, there is a consequence to parenting time changes when they are substantial and impact child support. Child support is determined based on the income of both parents and the amount of parenting time each spends with the child. Those factors would have to be known to calculate support.

    See question 
  • What can I do to see my kids per the order

    My ex-husband will not let me see my kids per the Court Order and I need help to understand.

    Maury’s Answer

    I am sorry that you are having these difficulties. However, more would have to be known about the existing curt order and current circumstances. In most cases, you would file a Motion seeking a Finding of Contempt and remedial measures such as compensatory parenting time for any time mussed.

    See question 
  • What are my options for getting my money back? Is my best option pursuing this in conciliation court?

    I am a freelance designer who worked for a client for many years. Last June, his company, an LLC, had to close for loss of customers and revenue. I believe he has since taken a position with another company in house. He left me with 11,000 dollars...

    Maury’s Answer

    With whom did you have a contract, the business or the individual? If it was the business, you may only collect against the business. If the business is out of business, there is likely nothing to collect.

    See question 
  • Question are in "Explain your situation." Thank you for your help and advice.

    I was wrongfully given a Disorderly Conduct on 12/25/15 in Minnesota. I currently live in California and was visiting my family for the holidays. The police booked me because I was a California resident (out of state). My court date is set for Mar...

    Maury’s Answer

    You appear to have the options covered. Check around by calling lawyers here on AVVO. You may be able to locate an attorney that will charge a fee for each appearance which may reduce the legal fees if you can resolve the case early.

    You cannot use a California attorney unless they are licensed in Minnesota. Even then, it may be difficult if an appearance is required. If you do not appear, a warrant will issue for your arrest. That can create many problems moving forward.

    See question 
  • How can an attorney fight this and also differentiate theft and money laundering or just a bad business deal that had no contrac

    Im being charged for.theft amd money laundering.

    Maury’s Answer

    For an assessment of your case, you would have to meet with an attorney to discuss the specifics of the case, the evidence that exists and, perhaps more. You should contact an experienced attorney from AVVO

    See question 
  • What are some steps in getting a attorney at court? Is it cheaper? And how much cheaper?

    I got a minor a week ago. My fine is $610. I stole 4 things. Everything I stole cost less than $50. I went to jail and got my pictures and fingers taken. I'm 18 and barely work. My income is probably $200-$400 a month. And this is my first theft.

    Maury’s Answer

    As you may know, a misdemeanor theft can be very serious. It is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine. However, the collateral consequences of a conviction are extremely significant and, arguably, more severe than the criminal penalties themselves. As a result, it is extemely important to protect your public and criminal record.

    First, if convicted of a theft offense, employers who require a background check may not hire you. That is particularly true if you work closely with money or in a retail capacity.

    Second, many landlords now perform background checks for applicants and, if you decide to rent, you may be denied an apartment with a criminal record that affects the tenancy.

    Third, a conviction may result in licensing problems for certain occupations or interfere with acceptance into some schools of higher learning.

    Often, the best defense is a good offense. Often, with skilled legal representation jail time and even convictions can be avoided. That is particularly true if you have no prior record. You would be wise to seek a FREE consultation from an attorney here on AVVO

    See question 
  • Will this car be involved in marital property since I paid four months during the marriage or not?

    Hi attorneys, I'm going through a divorce. I had a car loan with my bank for five years before we got married, my wife and I. After four months of our marriage I finished paying my auto loan/car loan, I payed off the loan.

    Maury’s Answer

    It may have a marital and non-marital component to it. However, it would appear from your post that the marital value would likely be minimal.

    See question 
  • How do I go about this scenario? I have no driving record on me and I blew .1 when leagal is .08

    I got booked and released in 45 min tonight for my first DUI offense. What should I expect? Also, on the citation I was given, he has all of the information completely wrong. It's not even my name on the citation! It was the person picking me up t...

    Maury’s Answer

    A first offense DWI is still a serious offense. At a minimum, it is a fourth degree offense. A fourth degree offense is a misdemeanor which carries with it maximum possible penalties of 90 days in jail and a $1 ,000 fine. As a result, it is important to present an aggressive defense. It is also important to know and understand the Judge's and their proclivities in your county.

    A DWI is not only a criminal case, it has a civil element as well. There is a license revocation related to a DWI that is a case entirely separate from the criminal matter. Nothing in the criminal matter will change the license revocation which occurs automatically unless you seek a judicial review of that revocation. This MUST occur within 30 days after you were ticketed. Any failure to seek a judicial review results in the license revocation and a record that indicates a new alcohol related offense that can be used to make any subsequent DWI a greater crime. In that judicial review, the challenges are the same as those made in the criminal case. The revocation periods and procedures for reinstatement have become much more difficult in the last decade. A first offense within 10 years and a blood alcohol concentration below .16 has a revocation period of 30 to 90 days .

    There are many challenges to a DWI. The defenses depend on the particular set of facts in each case. That means a detailed review of all evidence, including police reports, police videos, audio recordings and testing records related to blood alcohol levels is imperative. Often, hidden defenses are found through a thorough review of all evidence. Currently, there are strong challenges to many DWI offenses which are pending in the U.S. Supreme Court. Your case would have to be reviewed to determine if there is any application to your case.

    Additionally, as part of any DWI arrest, the Officers must follow very specific steps as part of the arrest. If any one step is missing, the case may be dismissed.

    You should retain a lawyer. Contact one of the attorney's here on AVVO for a FREE consultation.

    See question