William K. Fahey’s Answers

William K. Fahey

Okemos Energy / Utilities Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 7
  1. What if?

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Charles F Basil
    2. Robert A Serafinowicz
    3. William K. Fahey
    4. Benjamin J Lieberman
    4 lawyer answers

    No. If the police were enforcing a valid order, there would be no liability. If he wants to see his girlfriend, he needs to get he order vacated. This can be done with his girlfriend's agreement. If she is not willing to so agree, he needs to stay away from her.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. I have been accused of identity theft and want to know if a deportation order is a threat and could i fight it.

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. William K. Fahey
    1 lawyer answer

    Using the SS number of another person is identity theft. It is a crime. You should contact an immigration lawyer about the effects of the prosecution on your immigration status.

  3. After not receiving an electric bill for 3 months ( according to the utility company when I checked, they said we owed nothing)

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Steven Alan Fink
    2. William K. Fahey
    2 lawyer answers

    Utilities are not always perfect in their billing practices, and mistakes can be made. When they are corrected, they sometimes result in a large unexpected bill to the customer. You should call the utility to see if they can give you an explanation of the mistake and double-check to be sure it is right now. Once you confirm that, ask if you can arrange a payment plan to pay off the amount due. Most utilities will work with you under these circumstances.

  4. Do I have to pay for an oil delivery that I didn't order - and that was meant for another address?

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. John Edwin Daniel Larkin
    2. William K. Fahey
    2 lawyer answers

    You do not have to allow them to come onto your property to siphon the fuel, but you will likely be required to pay for the fuel if you do not allow them to remove it. Even though you did not order the fuel, if you receive it and can use it, you will be responsible to pay for it.

  5. Can a police officer run my license plate (NJ) while my car is parked in the driveway of my home (private residence).

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Benjamin G Kelsen
    2. Brandy Ann Peeples
    3. Christine C McCall
    4. William K. Fahey
    4 lawyer answers

    No, you cannot avoid a zoning violation based on a claim of privacy or an unlawful search for something that is visible from off your property. That is the point of zoning--to protect others who can see your property.