Don L. Rosenberg’s Answers

Don L. Rosenberg

Troy Estate Planning Attorney.

Contributor Level 5
  1. Wills and estates

    Answered over 4 years ago.

    1. James P. Frederick
    2. Don L. Rosenberg
    3. Steven J. Fromm
    4. Henry Daniel Lively
    4 lawyer answers

    While your question is vague, let me answer it by making some assumptions. I will assume the person died without a will and survived the friend who the home was left to. in this case if there are truly no relatives then the person is considered to have died intestate and the distribution of the assets/home is governed and controlled by the Michigan statutes. See this link for specific Michigan Intestate Succession laws., If the friend survived the...

  2. What happens when the guardian dies?

    Answered almost 5 years ago.

    1. James P. Frederick
    2. Don L. Rosenberg
    2 lawyer answers

    You will need to file a petition with the probate court to modify or terminate the guardianship. It is actually a simple form. Assuming you wish to have the guardian terminated before you file you should be able to establish that since your parents have passed that it is your son's best interest to have you be the parent and terminate the guardianship. The court upon filing the petition will set a court date and appoint an Guardian ad litem to review the matter and make a recommendation to...

  3. Elder law

    Answered about 6 years ago.

    1. Don L. Rosenberg
    2. Paul A. Smolinski
    2 lawyer answers

    I practice law in Michigan, but the federal government change all the Medicaid laws in February of 2006. This is a body of law call the Deficit Reduction Act of 2006 (DRA). I am sure that New York has incorporated the body of this law. The following is a summary of how the new law applies in Michigan. I would suggest you consult an elder law attorney in Michigan. Every so often, Congress changes the rules of Medicaid eligibility for nursing home coverage. In recent years, the rules have...