Ryan Hodge Cassman’s Answers

Ryan Hodge Cassman

Carmel Divorce / Separation Lawyer.

Contributor Level 9
  1. I live in Indiana. Is inheritance money from a parent, considered "my" money and not subject to be "joint" propert in a divorce

    Answered almost 5 years ago.

    1. Ryan Hodge Cassman
    2. Andrew Daniel Myers
    2 lawyer answers

    In Indiana, assets received via inheritance are presumptively marital assets and subject to division; however, in certain cases, a party can argue that they should be granted a deviation (more property) due to assets received via inheritance.

  2. Since I have custody of my two childern and was never married to their father but he does pay support who claims them on taxes?

    Answered about 5 years ago.

    1. Ryan Hodge Cassman
    1 lawyer answer

    The answer will depend on whether there is any type of court order granting him the right to claim the children. Without such an order, the default will generally be that the custodial parent has the right to claim. Otherwise, here is the IRS pub on this issue. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf