Skip to main content
Jeffrey Charles Meadows

Jeffrey Meadows’s Answers

205 total

  • Should my lawyer have all the details of a DUI case before the the pretrial?

    Like video, checkpoint info, breath machine info etc.

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    Not necessarily. Sometimes the prosecutors will provide discovery at a pretrial. Generally, it varies from one court to the next. Also, the amount of discovery could determine how quickly it is provided. Keep in touch with your attorney in order to stay up-to-date with the status of your case.

    See question 
  • Is it common for someone not even double the limit to fail every part of the sobriety test?

    I took a field sobriety test and the cop said I failed every part of the test. I thought I did fine also I only blew a .13.

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    The field sobriety tests have not been validated to determine impairment. They are only a tool to help the officers determine whether or not you're likely over a specific blood alcohol level, namely .10 according to the original studies. Or at least this is what the original training manual and underlying data from the original studies suggest.

    It is also common for officers to suggest that you did poorly on all fields are Bridie tests as the report is written after they have arrested you so it is likely that the reports are going to have information that supports their decision to take your liberty away.

    I would strongly recommend hiring a local attorney who has a reputation for fighting movie I charges and going to trial. Just because the breath test results says you're a .13 doesn't necessarily mean that it is so. Additionally, your performance on the field sobriety test was hopefully preserved by video and if the test were not administered to you properly they cannot be used against you for purposes of probable cause and potentially for purposes of trial.
    This response was sent from my iPhone, so please disregard any typos or other errors.

    See question 
  • I got my 3rd dui in 6 years. I have no other convictions on my record. I blew high tier. Car forfeiture? Sentence Im looking at?

    I have a good job, enrolled in college, CEO letter of recommendation, and a clean record besides dui's. Will I be eligible for work release?

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    You need to get someone who has extensive experience in actually trying OVI cases. On a 3rd in 6, there is a mandatory 30 or 60 days of jail (depending on how you are charged). During this minimum mandatory jail time, you can NOT get work release. And generally speaking, Hamilton County doesn't give work release anyway.

    Realistically, if you get convicted, you may be ordered to do Men's Extended treatment which is more than 60 days (with NO work release).

    You need to call an attorney who knows what they are doing immediately. I personally have more OVI trial experience than anyone around.

    See question 
  • I just received my second OVI in 7 years. What punishment am i looking at? Any suggestions on what I should do?

    The first OVI i received was in September of 2008. I was 19 years old. Basically I just want to know what to expect and would appreciate any advice.

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    If you hire the right attorney, you may be able to expect an acquittal, with the right facts of course. If you plead guilty or are found guilty after a trial, the minimum is 3 days in jail or an alcohol class, unless you refused or took the breath test and tested over .17; in either of those cases, the minimum is 6 days. The max jail sentence is 180 days and no judge is required to give you a minimum sentence. The minimum license suspension is 6 mos. and max is 3 yrs, if convicted. Fines can range from $375 - $1075.

    Every judge is different when it comes to sentencing and some prosecutors have been known to ask for more than minimums based on facts or priors. I strongly encourage you to speak with a local attorney who handles lots of OVI's in the court you are going to. I believe Mr. Hada is familiar with that court, so you might want to ring him up and talk to him directly.

    Keep in mind that just because you are charged, doesn't mean you MUST be convicted. Get an aggressive and competent OVI lawyer and see if you can fight it. Call Joe Hada.

    See question 
  • What are the chances of a 2nd OVI being reduced and to what?

    I have my first OVI back in 2013 and haven't gotten into trouble with the law since then until this past weekend.. I was charged with my second OVI, reasonable control and child endangerment.. I wasn't drinking so my BAC levels were .00 but I hit ...

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    Generally speaking, prosecutors don't like to reduce seconds. With that being said that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

    One thing is for certain, you need not only an experienced OB I attorney, you also need an experienced ODI attorney who is competent in handling blood tests, which means they know how to read chromatograms and figure out what weaknesses there are, or possible problems with the testing.

    See question 
  • What is the best way to explain a DUI and a disorderly conduct to an employer?

    My OUI I was charged with I had a few drinks that night I was pulled over on the phone, but wasn't impaired. I had just failed my soberity test that I happen to had few drinks. The disorderly conduct was caused by a riot and a group of people h...

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    For starters, ignore the reply that ended with "This isn't a legal question," because it IS! And it actually may be better answered by someone who does labor law as opposed to a DUI lawyer. But my question is why bother explaining it to the employer at all? If your policy manual states you have an affirmative duty to divulge criminal charges, then you should talk to a labor lawyer.

    If you do have to advise your employer, I do agree that you may want to dance around the "hitting a woman" part of it. As for the OUI (which sounds like you might be from MA originally), if you pleaded guilty/no contest, then hard to claim you weren't impaired, hence the "failed my sobriety test" statement. There are other ways to phrase your facts, but I would need to know more about the specific fact pattern before I could begin to tell you what to tell the employer. But I would also stay away from telling them you had an alcohol problem but are in treatment now, unless that is an actual fact.

    See question 
  • Charged with mis. ovi! I plead guilty and was dismissed at sentencing to charge me with fel ovi.(double jepordy),

    so now im finding out that when the fel ovi is dropped, that there going to be able to bring up the mis ovi! or want me to take a plea deal which is going to give me the same sentencing as the mis ovi charge1 I don't under stand this

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    This has some interesting facts as you present them, however I am cautious to believe that your phone is going to be dismissed.

    Regardless of whether it is a misdemeanor or felony that is pending right now, you need to have an OVI lawyer who knows what the hell they are doing.

    As for double jeopardy, a voluntary dismissal of the misdemeanor, by the state, does not create a jeopardy issue on the misdemeanor. Nor will the voluntary dismissal of the felony necessarily create jeopardy, at least no jeopardy issues as long as a jury has not been sworn in or the first witness called in a bench trial.

    It clearly sounds like your facts deserve a good consultation with a well experienced OVI lawyer.

    See question 
  • If you refuse a blood test an the hospital takes it any way can the police get the warrant at a later time to obtain that sample

    he was not under nor was he served with a warrant. he refused the cop left the hospital gave him a shot of morphine then took the sample the police got the warrant the next day.

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    As Mr. Rudes indicated, it is quite easy for the po po to get lab results from a hospital. The problem for the State is that those results may be MEANINGLESS when it comes to prosecuting an OVI. For starters, if they want to introduce the results, the State will need an expert to interpret the results. They will also need to establish a chain of custody, which is likely IMPOSSIBLE.

    If the person sustained serious injuries, that could also work heavily in the individuals defense. I have personally won an Ohio OVI charge where the po po got my clients lab results from the emergency room, which suggested my clients ETOH (ethanol) level was a .342. By the time I was done cross-examining the Prosecution's EXPERT witness (who had a Ph.D. in toxicology), client was found NOT GUILTY of OVI and everything else he had been charged with.

    These cases can seem daunting on their face but if you hire someone who knows science and how to try a case, you MAY end up with good results.

    See question 
  • How can I get my license reinstated after a 2005 DUI conviction in Orange Cty FL when I now live on Ohio?

    I was convicted of DUI (1st) in 2005 in Orange County FL. I now live in Ohio and am trying to get my license and can't get through the red tape in Florida. They are requiring an Interlock device for 1 year but I don't own a car and need to driv...

    Jeffrey’s Answer

    Ohio will not issue an OH license so long as the license from another state (FL) is suspended or is showing a block. So, I would first check with the FL DMV to see what THEY say you need to do to clear the block from FL. If FL requires 1 year of interlock as a result of the OVI suspension, there may be no way around it. Another consideration is that as an Ohio resident, you may have problems renewing the FL license, even with the interlock.

    It may very well prove helpful to hire an attorney in Orange Cty, FL to help you navigate through this problem. I STRONGLY recommend David Katz, who practices in Orange County, FL. I know him personally and know that he is recognized in FL for his knowledge and skills in handling FL DUI matters. His phone number is (321) 332-6864. Best of luck.

    See question