Skip to main content
Kurt David Zimmerman

Kurt Zimmerman’s Answers

2 total

  • Multiple Attorneys-in-fact

    My parents had my brother and I listed as co-attorneys in fact, but their banks will not honor them because they say it is too much work to accept multiple attorneys, so as a practice they do not accept them. What can I do?

    Kurt’s Answer

    Are your parents capable of signing new powers of attorney naming only one of you as power holder? If so, this would be the simplest and most effective approach. Alternatively, see what the durable power of attorney says about one of you resigning as power holder. Does the power of attorney nonetheless remain in effect, but that the remaining power holder is the only one with power to act?

    See question 
  • My girlfriend passed away suddenly with no will, she has no next of kin ort living relatives.

    My irlfriend and I lived together for 4 years, all of the utilities bills were under her name. Even though we split them, She paid them thru her checking account. She has about $1800 dollars in there. When living I had access to her account with h...

    Kurt’s Answer

    First of all, my condolences on the passing of your girlfriend. As to your question, you will need to consult a MA lawyer to find out what MA law says about someone who dies without a will. These laws are called "intestacy" laws and they define who is to receive the property of someone who dies without a will. But there is another possibility to check on first -- perhaps your girlfriend set up her checking account to be "TOD" (transfer on death) or "POD" (pay on death) in your favor. This means, upon her death, everything in her account passes according to her TOD or POD designation without need for probate. Ask the bank if her account was set up TOD or POD, and, If so, are you the named beneficiary. If so, you won't need to probate the account -- it will just pass to you by the TOD or POD contract on file with the bank. Hope this helps.

    See question