Sharon C. Poorak’s Answers

Sharon C. Poorak

Atlanta Immigration Attorney.

Contributor Level 4
  1. What options are there for an immigrant with domestic violence in the marriage?

    Answered about 5 years ago.

    1. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings
    2. Sharon C. Poorak
    3. Patrice Dayale Dziire
    3 lawyer answers

    The first step is to obtain permanent resident status, or what is referred to as the "green card". If they are married less than 2 years at that time, USCIS will grant her conditional status for 2 years, and then she must file another form to show the couple is still together or they have divorced but the marriage is real. Once she has been a permanent resident for 3 years (if still together) or five years (if no longer together), she can apply for US Citizenship if she otherwise qualifies....

  2. So its not nessary to prive income if youre trying to get legal if you have a petitioner

    Answered about 5 years ago.

    1. Sharon C. Poorak
    1 lawyer answer

    Are you seeking to sponsor your husband for permanent resident status and you are a US citizen with income and he has no income? If that is the case, then yes you can sponsor him and you will be completing the I864 application of support using your own income. If it is not sufficient to meet the I864 requirements, you would need a co sponsor as well (could not be your husband if he did not earn his income legally in the US). If he qualifies for adjustment of status the I864 is attached; if not,...