Hugh Michael Ruppersburg’s Answers

Hugh Michael Ruppersburg

Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer.

Contributor Level 3
  1. Can I sue a store after I fell in the parking lot and broke my tibia?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Marc Sean Hurd
    2. Jeffrey Mark Adams
    3. Jeffrey David Bohn
    4. Peter James Pearson
    5. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    6. ···
    9 lawyer answers

    Slip and fall cases in Georgia, particularly involving rainy and wet conditions, can be hard to win. Georgia law says that the average person should know that outdoor surfaces like steps can be slippery when wet, which makes it tough for you to prove your case. However, if the stairs were slippery because they were recently painted, were painted with an improper material or there have been other falls on those steps, you may have a case. Like the other answers have said, call a local...

    4 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Inconsistent statements, what to expect?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    2. Pamela Koslyn
    2 lawyer answers

    It's likely not judicial estoppel. The other lawyer will be able to use her statement that she had no assets to attack her credibility and argue that the judge and jury should not believe her because she is dishonest. If she knowingly made an inaccurate statement on a welfare application she could also face criminal penalties.

    Selected as best answer

  3. Do attorneys have certain doctors they prefer to use because they have accounts with them and can pay them after the settlement?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Daniel Dwight Bowen
    2. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    3. Daniel Nelson Deasy
    4. Jacob Adam Regar
    4 lawyer answers

    Some doctors will treat patients on a "lien." This means that the doctor will treat you and perform surgery even if you can't afford to pay him right away. When you settle your case, you would be required to re-pay the doctor out of the settlement. There are also lending companies that will pay for the cost of your medical treatment and surgery. You would be required to pay them back out of any verdict or settlement. However, these can involve very high interest rates, so beware....

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  4. Can I find out if the amount that my attorney is telling me the actual amount the insurance company is offering?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Sam Louis Levine
    2. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    3. David J. McCormick
    4. Randy William Ferguson
    4 lawyer answers

    Your lawyer has an ethical and legal duty to tell you the insurance company's settlement offer. Insurance companies typically make settlement offers in writing. Ask your attorney for a copy of the settlement offer. If he doesn't have one, ask him/her to request a written settlement offer from the insurance company and provide it to you. That being said, it's not unusual for insurance companies to offer slightly more than your medical bills in cases involving pre-existing conditions,....

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  5. How should my son plead to an MIP charge - such that we can potentialexpunge it from his record during/after arraignment ?

    Answered almost 2 years ago.

    1. Noah Howard Pines
    2. Brett Ladd
    3. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    3 lawyer answers

    Unless there are very aggravating circumstances, the Solicitor's Office in Athens will allow your son to enter the pre-trial diversion program. If he complies with all the conditions of the program, which are usually paying a fine, community service and staying out of trouble for 6-12 months, the charges will be dismissed. The Solicitor also usually agrees to allow his arrest to be expunged, meaning that it won't show up on a criminal background check if he applies for a job.

  6. Dui driver totaled 5 month new car 2012 elantra limited. None are for sale used yet. Drunk has State Farm can I get punitive dam

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Kevin Aaron Chastine
    2. Evan A. Watson
    3. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    4. Paul J. Whiting
    4 lawyer answers

    Punitive damages are usually tough to get and it's up to a jury to decide whether to award them. However, DUI cases have a greater possibility of punitive damages than most car wrecks. Some of the factors a jury might consider in deciding whether to award punitive damages are how drunk the defendant was, whether he or she has had previous DUIs, how sorry he or she seems, how bad the wreck was and how injured you were. Punitive damages are usually capped at $250,000, meaning that you...

  7. What is the punishment for theft by taking for a first time offender?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. A James Rockefeller
    2. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    3. Edward Jacob Sternisha
    3 lawyer answers

    Theft by taking of more than $500 is a felony with a punishment of up to ten years in jail. As a practical matter you're not going to get ten years in jail. However, your sentence will depend on the facts of your case so it's hard to speculate on what to expect. If you have a clean criminal record, pay back all of the stolen money and turned yourself in, those are all facts that will help you get a lesser sentence. You need to hire a good criminal defense lawyer. After reviewing...

  8. What type of Lawyer would I need to sue a thief?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Barry Franklin Poulson
    2. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo
    3. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    3 lawyer answers

    Just about any civil litigation lawyer could handle this case. One thing to keep in mind is that you may end up paying your lawyer more than you ever recover from the thief. You could get a verdict and judgment against the thief but the likelihood of collecting it is slim to none - unless the thief is worth a lot of money or owns property without mortgages on it. As mentioned in the other answer, you should ask the prosecutor handling the case to seek restitution. Then the thief...

  9. Is the indictment flawed?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Johnetta Renee Boston
    2. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg
    3. Timothy P. Flynn
    3 lawyer answers

    No. In Georgia, an aggravated assault can be committed in several ways. One of them - as alleged by the indictment - is shooting at another person with intent to injure them. The fact that the indictment does not charge the defendant with actually shooting and injuring the victim does not prevent the prosecution from proving that. The prosecution can show that the defendant shot and injured the victim to prove that the defendant shot "at, toward, or in the direction" of the victim....