You could potentially do this through another non-immigrant status -- E-2. It would depend upon country of citizenship, the amount and source of your initial investment, and a number of other factors. But it is correct that you would not be able to earn any income from that business while under your current H-1B. Would recommend consulting with lawyer to discuss all your options.