Mindy Felinton’s Answers

Mindy Felinton

Rockville Elder Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 3
  1. My mom died 11/11/13 she didn't have a will she left a notarized letter with her death wishes to us do I need to open an estate?

    Answered 3 months ago.

    1. Mindy Felinton
    2. Brandy Ann Peeples
    3. Mark William Oakley
    4. Jonathan R Bromberg
    5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.
    5 lawyer answers

    Yes, unfortunately you still have to open an estate.

    6 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. How to remove my uncle as the executive of my grandfathers estate in MD

    Answered 3 months ago.

    1. Thomas C Valkenet
    2. Jody R. Pollara
    3. Mindy Felinton
    4. Michael Leo Potter
    5. Charles P. Ward
    5 lawyer answers

    You may certainly seek to have him removed. The executor must act timely and correctly.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. Can a non-driver buy a vehicle while in Medicaid spend-down mode without jeopardizing Medicaid eligibility?

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Mindy Felinton
    2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.
    3. Andrew W. Olsen
    4. Evan H Farr
    4 lawyer answers

    It should not interefere with it since an aoutmobile is an exempt resource. I keep the car in your mothers name with you listed as only driver for insurance purposes so that a gift is not made that would create a penalty.

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  4. Is it easier to redo or amend a will?

    Answered 3 months ago.

    1. Bryan Lane Berson
    2. Lily Aminova
    3. Dennis M Astill
    4. Mindy Felinton
    5. Charles P. Ward
    6. ···
    8 lawyer answers

    If it is a minor change, you may do an amendment called a codicil. If there are many changes, then I recommend redoing it.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  5. I Purchased life ins policy on husband I have not been paid ,should I pursue this further with a lawyer? My husband died 3/14.

    Answered 3 months ago.

    1. William J Popovich
    2. Lorraine Miguel Medeiros
    3. Zaheer A Shah
    4. Mindy Felinton
    4 lawyer answers

    Absolutely. You are entitled to it.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  6. Need help with dying father's situation - financial and medical.

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. James P. Frederick
    2. Mindy Felinton
    2 lawyer answers

    I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I too have gone through this. Since you have his Medical POA, you can make medical decisions. But unfortunately, you do not have any power over the financial matters for your Dad right now. A question that I have is, has a determination as to your Dad's mental capacity in order to make a POA now been made? If your father is incapacitated, but he knows who you are, and how much money he has, he may be capable to sign a POA. He of course, has to...

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  7. Can my mother pay me for taking care of her business.

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Richard Maxon Roller
    2. Robert Louis Feliciani III
    3. Elaine Bonnie Marshall
    4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.
    5. Mindy Felinton
    5 lawyer answers

    Generally you can do this. You may be paid to provide services to your mother. We recommend a formalized plan to legitamize these payments. More than likely you will have to pay income tax on these payments. Retro-active compensation is generally not available. The rule of thumb for the amount of compensation is what the going rate is for similar services in your area.

Protect your fortune. Contact us today.